40. Christmas

Thank Merlin Rosmerta was willing to let me start work again

       Thank Merlin Rosmerta was willing to let me start work again. I was eased back into a schedule, with Rosmerta and Anita to help me get back into the swing of things. The regulars who remembered my brief stint greeted me as though I had been gone for ages. It felt like I had been.

Since my abduction had been part of a bigger plot, my name got mentioned nowhere in the Prophet's latest edition. I told my tale to those who were sober enough to comprehend it. Even Anita, Rosmerta, and the wait staff stopped what they were doing to listen. I either gained sympathy or adoration after I told my story.

Christmas Day was upon us now, and the Three Broomsticks was flooding with customers. I worked the afternoon shift since the pub was to be closed early for tonight.

"So, what are your plans?" Anita chirped as she served her round of drinks.

"I'm going home," I said, "spending time with my family."

"And your boyfriend?" She wiggled her eyebrows at me.

I laughed. Everyone who had come and heard the story knew that Neville Longbottom, the Auror who had accompanied me on my on-the-run adventure, was my boyfriend. "Yes, him too."

"How is he, anyway?"

"He's fine. He's got a light load of work now that there aren't as many Dark wizards around," I reported.

"Funny, he doesn't come to see you here. Why doesn't he?"

"Maybe he doesn't have the time." I shrugged. "Or maybe it's because he knows I'm working and thinks I'll get distracted if he visits."

"A respectful man," Anita said in awe.

The workday went by painfully slow. As much as I liked working at the Three Broomsticks, I wanted to get out. Mum wasn't cooking dinner until I got home to help. It felt traditional if she and I worked on dinner together. I always tried to loop Dad into it, but he somehow got out of it each time.

When five o'clock came, I almost raced out of the Three Broomsticks so fast had Anita not caught me. I helped her lock up the pub. Anita and I said our goodbyes, and we both Disapparated to our homes.

It was snowing in Godric's Hollow.

"I'm home!" I called the moment I opened the door. I blushed, because I hadn't expected him to come this early—let alone with someone accompanying him.

I was glad to see Neville nonetheless. I had to assume the old woman with him was his grandmother he had told me about. She didn't look as old as I presumed her to be, but her style suggested otherwise. She looked real kind, but she was skeptical of me, judging by how her eyes pierced through me.

"Oh, good!" Mum squeaked as she ran from the kitchen. "You can come help me."

"You didn't have to wait for me," I said.