Chapter 8 | New discoveries

UNEDITED

When you die by drowning, it is silent, yet loud at the same time. You slowly suffocate as the water envelops you in a gentle embrace. Water floods your lungs, and you gradually lose consciousness.

Painfully slowly, you would welcome death.

I wasn't drowning, yet it felt like I was. It was harder to breath. I felt myself being shaken, and immediately panicked. After years of sleeping alone, and being in the occupation that I am in, I had never let my guard down this much.

"Kurimiya-san?" Ayato's panicked expression mirrored my own. But seeing him lose his composer somehow managed to calm me down. "You looked like you were having a bad dream. Are you alright?"

"Eh? Commissioner?" It was still dark outside, judging from the moonlight coming through the drapes. I had thought he would surely go once I had fallen asleep. ".. I'm alright."

"What were you dreaming about?"

"It's.. something stupid. Anyway, thank you for accommodating and treating me. I'm all better now."

He had a look of disbelief on his face, and I rolled my eyes. "I am."

"You were stabbed and poisoned, Kurimiya-san. Those aren't things that'll heal in the span of a day, even if we had a healer look over you."

"I can move just fine. And the poison isn't affecting me anymore."

"That's not.."

"I've built up an immunity. Most poisons don't work on me." Although it felt unnecessary, I indulged him on one of my secrets.

"Why would you.."

"Working in the occupation that I am in, I have too many enemies to allow myself the leisure of getting killed before the job is done."

Whatever Ayato was thinking in that moment, I didn't have a single clue from his complex expression.

"So anyway, I'm fine, so-" I was interrupted rudely by my stomach imitating a whale's mating call. And it wasn't in a cute way. What was it with me embarrassing myself Infront of the Kamisato siblings?

"I see you're hungry. Then it was a good thing that I've already made preparations."

"No way..did you.." I started to walk towards the window to try and jump off.

"What are you doing, Kurimiya-san?"

"Getting poisoned once this week was enough for me."

"I didn't cook," Ayato admitted, an offended look in his eyes.

"Oh. Who did?"

Just as I asked, Thoma entered the room, a tray in hand, with a bowl of porridge and tea on it. The fresh smell of herbs reminded me of the ones I ate raw outside.

"Thoma," I exclaimed with joy, because Thoma was the type of person that could make people happier by just being there.

"Kurimiya-san, you're awake. I made you some food, so I hope it's to your taste."

"It already smells good, Thoma." I smiled, taking a spoonful to my mouth.

"I see you two get along well." Ayato mused. Ah, I forgot he was here.

"Of course we'd get along well. Thoma is the housekeeper extraor-" I was once again stopped by a hand on my mouth, and I pouted.

"Ah." Something sparked in Ayato's eyes. "You mean the housekeeper extraordinair of the Kamisato clan?"

I nodded, and Thoma groaned, taking his hand off my mouth.

"Of all people to know about it..it had to be you two," he muttered, and I could see him sulking already.

I laughed at his misery as it was quite amusing, and ate the porridge. It was really good. Maybe I was a bit biased because it was the only thing I ate in two days, but it tasted like the best food I've ever had.

Days later, Kamisato Ayato finally relented to let me work in peace, and I immediately went to report about the guys who wanted to attack Ayaka. I was sure he had looked into it as well, so hoping he had new information, I sped away to his office.

The usual guards were there, and since I really didn't want to be bothered by their questions, I sneaked in after nodding to a ninja that was protecting him from the shadows.

"Hey, Commissioner, I came to-" I stopped with one foot in and the other out of the window, because the sight Infront of me made me momentarily speechless. Thoma was bent over the table with an embarrassed expression on his face, and Ayato stood right next to him. At one glance, things seemed extremely steamy.

"I didn't mean to itterupt," I said calmly.

"It's not what- what's that in your hands?" Thoma got up, and red spread all over his face.

"I'm just taking notes, don't mind me. Continue." I almost took the kamera, but Thoma was standing up now.

"Kurimiya-san, it's really not what you think. Do I look like that kind of man?"

I gleefully smirked. "Since you asked-"

Ayato put his hands up to stop me, and shook his head. "Actually, don't answer that."

"Kurimiya-san," Thoma protested, and I nodded.

"I know Thoma. I think it's called submissive and- oh wait I could use that."

I rushed out with my notes in hand. I had recently heard that the yae publishing house also had novels like this. Maybe I should write one.

"Hm..what should the title be?" I stopped in my tracks, thinking of a good title. "'I fell in love with my housekeeper', 'tangled with my master', 'The day Thomato bloomed', 'when I discovered my master was gay'..hm.."

As I walked talking out loud to myself as a person normally does, I came across the Kamisato clan's training grounds. It was still raining lightly, and through the thin sheet of rain, I could make out a familiar figure holding a bamboo sword.

"Aya-chan?"

She turned around then, her expression crestfallen at the sight of me. I grinned, hoping to see a sign of the usual expression she had when she saw me.

Her gaze lingered on the wound and scratches on my hands.

"Aya-chan, training?"

"Yes. I think I have to get stronger." She smiled, yet it didn't reach her eyes.

"You're already strong though. Your swordsmanship is excellent, and you have good control over your vision as well."

"But you got hurt," she muttered under her breath.

"Aya-chan, what I did to protect you was my choice. And I know you could've beaten them up had I let you. I just didn't want you to be hurt, even a little. So it's not that you aren't strong, okay? You're strong, in every sense of the word." I smiled then, taking the bamboo sword from her hands. "So don't make that face, and come inside. You'll catch a cold."

"Okay, Sora."

"Hm. Let's go get some dango milk if you're up for it. Thoma brought some a while ago."

"That sounds good. By the way, Sora.."

"Hm?" I started to walk, and Ayaka followed closely behind.

"Who were you saying was gay?"

Oh fuck.

*******************

I know I said I'd try to update early, and I did but life got in the way in the form of a horrible cold which made me delusional to the point I couldn't remember if the new update was here or not.

On the bright side here's the update and I got to see my cousin being slapped by the rain when she tried to sing aesthetically outside on the terrace, so there's that.

Have a great day/night people :)

Also we have Ayato emotes now (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧