Chapter 27 | Back to inazuma

UNEDITED

Engaged?

The word echoed in my mind repeatedly, haunting me.

Ayato.. Kamisato Ayato was going to get engaged?

What was really laughable was the fact that I had never considered it possible. He was the Yashiro Commissioner, he was at the right age, and there were plenty of women who would fall on their knees for the opportunity. He was known, and was famous for being prince-like in innermost fan circles.

Arranged marriage for political convenience is common, and of course he would rather do it himself than let that befall on his sister. He had said as much before.

It made sense. Of course it made sense.

"Sora?" His gentle voice brought me back from my thoughts.

Talk. You have to talk.

"You're going to..get engaged?"

"Yes." He said it as if it was obvious.

Smile.

"Ah. When?"

"As soon as we return to inazuma. To be honest, this journey with you was like an adventure. Hopefully there'll be more opportunities in the future." His smile was sincere, and it hurt all the more so knowing that it was.

"I- yes. Well then, I heard there was a giant boar on this mountain, so I'm going to check it out."

"Then I can come with you," he offered.

"No."

His eyes widened at the sudden outburst, his hands in mid-air reaching towards me. I backed away, and turned around so I wasn't facing him.

"I'd like to do it on my own. Besides, Lu Wei will cry if we both disappeared." I forced a laugh, hoping it sounded genuine.

"One more thing, Sora," he called out as I turned to leave.

"Hm?"

"Don't tell Ayaka yet. I want to tell her the news myself."

"Hm. Oh. Congratulations, commissioner."

I didn't stay to hear his response.

I rushed through the cold wind and down a path I didn't realise was there to begin with. As I underestimated the speed at which I was going, I hit a pine tree and fell onto the snow below it. I didn't bother to get up, and stayed there looking at the sky.

It didn't feel the same as before. Not the same as we did before.

Why am I so frustrated?

Why do I care?

I shouldn't. I really shouldn't.

This is the way things were meant to be, if we had never met.

If I had never met him.

Although it was a few months ago that I had met Kamisato Ayato, it was hard to imagine now what it would have been like if we hadn't.

Trying to forget everything about him would be like trying to find someone that never existed. His soft laughter that echoed in my ear, the smile that made my own lips curve upwards, the gentle touch of his warm hands; it was all indelible. There was no going back after the storm that was Kamisato Ayato came into my life.

This is pathetic, Sora.

Why did I let him break all my walls when I have to build it up again?