Chapter 14 | Housewife

UNEDITED

"Who are you?" The flying creature asked the question which was written all over the traveller's face.

I blocked the sword that came near me and flung the man back. Horror resonated in his eyes as he looked into mine.

"It's her oh lord oh archons it's her," he screamed, and the others gave me a second glance.

"He's r-right. It's the devil from that night."

"Devil?" Lumine asked, sending a questioning glance my way.

"She robbed us of everything. She hoarded everything we owned." He looked at me accusingly and I glared.

"Stop being dramatic. I only took a few things I needed."

"You beat us too," someone else chimed in.

"Oh really now?" I unsheathed my sword, and admired the metal against my fingers. "That's not how I remember it. Although..I can re-enact the scene for you."

I smiled, and watched as their faces contorted, unable to refute.

"We're - we have to get going."

They ran, and I put my sword back, to see the traveller looking at me suspiciously.

"I'm a human." Probably.

"Ah.. that's not what I was thinking." She shook her head.

"Who are you, lady? And how do you know those treasure hoarders?" The flying creature pestered, floating near me.

"I'm more curious about you." I turned to the traveller. "Did you spawn her-"

"What?"

"Like when you have-"

"Oh archons please stop. We aren't related." Her face was red, and I frowned. They weren't?

"You aren't?"

"Yes," the flying creature seemed offended. "There is only one paimon. Why would you think that?"

"Because you're like a fairy, although I think they're supposed to have wings, and," I turned to lumine. "You look like a fairy."

"Oh."

There was silence as lumine smiled embarrassedly, and I raised a brow.

She really looks like one..

"What happened with the treasure hoarders?"

"Some things are better left unsaid, miss fairy." I smiled, and then remembered about the cake.

"You're going to the Kamisato estate, right?"

She nodded. "Ayaka invited me for a party, I think? Is that the cake for the party?"

She glanced at the cake and I nodded.

"I could take it there for you."

"Oh this is- I wouldn't want to trouble you-"

This is the only way I can go in there naturally.

"It's no trouble," paimon said reassuringly, and I silently handed the cake to the traveller.

Maybe it was better this way.

"Lady, what's your- eh? Where'd she go?"

A while later, I found myself up on a tree branch where I could see the party. Cake and various sweets were on the table, and everyone sat around it, talking and taking in each others presence. Laughter rang in the air, and the joyous atmosphere felt so far away, even though I was so close to it.