Chapter 35 | Frozen

UNEDITED

It was as if everything had come to a halt in that moment of time, with even the wind perfectly still, paving a possibility in my mind that I in no circumstances wished for.

The manor was devoid of its servants, with its protector's nowhere in sight. Something had happened. Something dreadful. I didn't want to think about it. However, the mind never took your heart's decisions seriously as you did. I found myself doubting, thinking of the worst case imaginable.

Had someone succeeded in an assassination? Had someone an eye on the Kamisato siblings, and finally carried out their plans?

My heartbeat felt erratic, the sense of loss growing stronger with each second that passed. My feet carried me to the place where the smell of blood was strong, and I found a bloodied mess on the floor. Everything in the kitchen was covered in blood. Red adorned the interior; the cupboards, the sink, walls and the floor haphazardly, like a madman had gone on a frenzy of killing.

But that wasn't what made my breath stop. It was what lay in the center of the mess.

Her hair and clothes were soaked in blood, and I rushed to her side, trying to shake her awake.

"Aya-chan. Please, wake up." I could sense a pulse, but if she had lost so much blood, it wouldn't be there for any longer. "Please."

The sound of footsteps halted my actions, and I took my sword, ready to defend my friend. The door slid open, to reveal someone I thought I wouldn't see again.

"Kurimiya-san?" He had blood all over him, and he was limping as he tried to walk.

My hands found themselves wrapped around him, bringing him closer.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I left. If I didn't, this wouldn't have ever happened."

"Sora-"

"Did you lose blood? Are you okay? Aya-chan..we have to heal her. And you too. Who did it? I'll kill them all. How dare they even think of laying a hand on you both? Ayato.. don't die. Ayato don't.. please." I had lost myself in the past, the deaths of my family and friends overplaying in my mind. The blood, the still bodies that wouldn't stir awake. Their hands unmoving, cold. "Don't leave me."

"Shh.." Ayato rubbed my back soothingly. "It's okay, Sora. It's okay, I'm not going to die."

"Promise?"

"Yes, I promise. Trust me and calm down, okay? No one is dying." He wiped the tears that had fallen unbeknownst to me.

"But Aya-chan.. the blood-"

He smiled sheepishly, and ruffled my hair. "Were you that worried?"

"Of course I am."

"Well, you have nothing to worry about. How about I tell you everything over tea? I'll make some."

"I just came back and you're already trying to poison me?"

"Sora," Ayato chided, and I shrugged. It wasn't like I lied.

He carried Ayaka and sat her down on a chair, at which she stirred awake. Upon seeing me, she mumbled, "Sora?"

She looked down at the state of her clothes and let out a little laugh. "Wait, I'll go wash up and come."

Ayato tried to escape along with her, but I stopped him. "Don't you have explaining to do?"

"Thoma is down with a cold," he started. "And he insisted on working even though it had gotten worse. So Ayaka and I tried to convince him to take the day off."

"And did he?"

"He wouldn't listen, so I gave everyone a day off- well except some in Shuumatsuban- so that he would go rest."

"I still don't understand the.. blood?"

"That..uh- we also gave the kitchen staff the day off, and there were pre-made dishes, but Ayaka wanted to cook something for Thoma to show her appreciation. And she asked me to help."

"You can't even boil an egg, though."

"Sora," Ayato shot me an accusing glance.

"Do continue."

"I found a frozen boar in the freezer, so we decided to make soup with it."

You have whole entire animals just laying around in the freezer?

Did this man just call me poor in a new language?

"How exactly did you cook it?"

"I followed the recipe this time. It said to boil the water and put the meat in, so I put the boar inside the pot. I didn't expect that it was still alive, so when the ice melted it jumped out rudely."

"I- what-"

"Since I was surprised that it jumped I ended up severing an artery, and it jumped on Ayaka's forehead, and ran out. That's why she had fainted, and why there's all this blood."

"Ayato what the fuck?"

"We were just trying to cook."

"You guys should never step foot in the kitchen again. I'm telling Thoma. and you, go get cleaned up."

"Yes ma'am." He laughed.

Ayaka came in just then along with a ninja that helped me clean up the mess they had made, and I tried not to think of the embarrassing misunderstanding I had.

It was late when we had finally finished, and I sat across from Ayaka with tea.

"Sora, I heard you went away because of nii-sama. Is that why you didn't contact me either?"

"I..yes. There were some issues."

"Nii-sama has been miserable ever since you left. And then he went on a spending spree, had a fight with the clans, and worked out the situation of marriage in the span of a month. I've long been aware of my brother's feelings for you. And I know he must have done some really bad for you to leave. So I won't ask you to forgive him." Ayaka was resolute in her decision. "Because you're my friend and he's my only brother. So I really hope that the both of you can be happy, truly happy. Whatever you decide, I'll always be your friend."

"Thank you, Aya-chan. I wasn't going to accept-"

The door slid open and shut again, with only a moment for me to see Kamisato Ayato's face twisted in heartbreak, before his footsteps faded away.

**************
A/n

I was actually planning on updating on valentine's as a gift, but yea anyway. In case some of you didn't get flowers,

🌷🌻🌹🌷

Next chapter will be up soon. And hey, I didn't kill anyone in this book🧍✨