Chapter 4 | Woof

UNEDITED

We were hidden behind one of the stalls, where the huge maple tree stood in the center, its leaves swaying all around like little red sparks.

I slurped my drink of the wierd combination Ayato had ordered, even sending one to Thoma, who I was praying survived.

He had long finished his, remarking, "refreshing, isn't it?"

As expected, the world is sometimes fair. They gave him good looks, and no tastebuds.

"Sir, is this perhaps your attempt to poison me?" I observed the purple goo that oozed murderous intent.

"That isn't the case, kurimiya-san. I simply think it's innovating to try different things." From the smile on his face it was apparent that he considered his tastes normal.

"Yes, a truly innovative way to posion someone. I haven't seen one in all my years."

"Aren't you in your twenties?"

"Shush, the traveller is coming," I took the moment to subtly empty the contents of the drink in one go, grimacing at the sour-bitter taste.

"You drank all?"

"I don't waste food. What did you tell the traveller again?"

Ayato smiled then, the expression particularly playful under the moonlight. "To do something interesting when no one's around."

I grimaced at his riddle like reply which didn't answer any questions.

"Fine. Don't answer." I leaned from behind a wooden box, and watched as the traveller walked around the portraits of the five kasan until she arrived at the last one. Unlike the other portraits where each individual of kasan was drawn, the last one was only a background. The portrait of kuronashi wasn't there. Earlier today, the artist with abnormal smooth talking skills warped the answer, but something bothered me about the way he said it, nonetheless.

I watched in wonder as the traveller, who had a jar of water in her hands, splashed the contents onto the paper.

"Don't tell me.."

"Yes."

The portrait, which only had a background until now, revealed the figure of kuronashi walking away from the river, under the sakura.

"I didn't expect the artist to use the same method," I confessed.

"Now the final chapter of the five kasan is closed."

"Now why don't you tell me why we really came here?"

Ayato laughed, the sound vibrating in the air. "Nothing gets past you, Kurimiya-san."

"Well?"

"I believe it is time I tell you why I decided to make you my double agent instead of dealing with you like all other assassins so far." His voice grew stern, and he started to walk around the ritou harbour.

"Being in the position that I am, I have quite a number of enemies. People who would rather have me dead and reap the benefits. Of course, there have been a lot of assassins being commissioned by those people. I have long been used to it, and with Shuumatsuban and my own abilities, there was no need for me to fear them."

He stopped near the boats, under a maple tree. I didn't interrupt as he went on, his voice growing more frustrated as he did so..

"However, about a month ago, there was an attempt to assassinate my sister, Ayaka."

"The Shirasagi Princess..but why?"

"That's what I wondered. It would make more sense to aim for me, instead of my sister, who would lose any power if she marries into another family. And I am the head, so getting me out of the way would be much more efficient."

"True. Did those assassins that targeted the princess target you as well?"

The maple leaves fell as a breeze blew by, falling on the sea waves meeting the harbour.

"No. And that's exactly why I'm taking such measures as you, Kurimiya-san. I need to know why they targeted my sister. I will find out and annihilate any risk that comes to her."

"Family..is important afterall." I looked out to the sea, and reminisced the strong feelings, of someone to protect, of a place to return to.

"I didn't expect you to say that."

Of course. How could I forget?

"Yeah. I'm an assassin afterall." I smiled, though there was no need to feel happy. "I'm glad you didn't forget that, commissioner."

"That's not what I meant.."

"Regardless, it's what you should remember."

With that I disappeared into the night, not waiting for the commissioner to say anything else. Strangely, I felt bothered.

~~~~~

The next day, bright and early, I felt the blanket being peeled off my body. My hands moved to the kunai I kept hidden, as I wondered who was so rude.

"Good morning, Kurimiya-san," a rather cheerful voice said from where the brightness of the daylight was entering the dark room. I squinted my eyes until I could make out a figure standing near the doorway. "It's time to get up."

Light hair and light bluish eyes..the Shirasagi Princess?

"Shirasagi Princess?"

Wait, am I supposed to bow or something? Or kiss her hand on something? What country did that again?

She smiled, and I noticed how it was a little similar to Ayato, and more sincere. She was dressed up in her usual attire, not a hair out of place; graceful. All the while I lay in bed squinting my eyes at the light with my mess of a hair resembling some scattered remains of a ransacked bird nest.

"Sorry for disturbing you so early in the morning, but this is the only time my brother won't notice me coming here." She did look truly apologetic.

"What business does the Shirasagi Princess have with me?"

"Princess...just call me Ayaka, please."

"But I'm a mere servant, princess."

"Please, I insist."

I nodded then, since I had no reason to refuse.

"Can you meet me at the komore teahouse?"

"Sure?"

And just like that I felt like a storm had passed as I sank back into my pillow.

Begrudgingly, I got out of bed as curiously got the best of me. What did people wear to a teahouse anyway?

Assuring myself that my attire was perfectly acceptable- in the sense that I looked like death- I headed out to the teahouse.

It had a homely atmosphere, and an old inazuman style in the building. There was a girl at front, guiding people into the teahouse. I went in, and froze at the sight of a dog on the counter, wearing the attire of someone serving tea there.

"Are you the owner of this place?"

"Woof."

********************

I will probably update soon enough. But if I don't blame it on ayato🧍