Chapter 36 | Your name

UNEDITED

"Was that-" Ayaka started, her eyes on the door that had just been shut.

"Yes." I sighed. "We'll talk later, Aya-chan. I have to go."

She nodded, and I went off in the direction the commissioner had just a few minutes ago.His figure was visible in the heavy rain, the drooped shoulders, the hair clinging to the back of his neck like a wet carpet.

And I could have left him alone. I could watch him writhe in pain, like I had. I could have cursed him out, chased him away. I could have ignored that pitiful figure.

But I didn't.

Before I had time to dwell in my thoughts, I ran out in the rain.

"Commissioner, wait."

He turned just in time to see me tackle him, his arms instinctively wrapping around me as we both fell on the grass.

(A/n moral of story; touch grass, kids.)

"Sora, I -"

I put my finger on his lips, successfully silencing him. "No. My turn to talk. Before you go on wallowing in despire, let me tell you everything. Let me tell you my answer."

"But you.. don't want this, do you?" He smiled sadly, and I could tell that his facade of being unbothered was falling apart. "No matter how much I want this, I can't force you. I want you to want this. If you don't there's no meaning to it."

"You're late." I punched him lightly on the chest. "You could have told me this when I was practically falling over myself because of you."

"I know. I've been an imbecile."

"I hated the thought of you using me."

"That makes the two of us."

"I've never had this-" I gestured between us. "I don't know how this works. I don't know what to do."

"If you are willing, please stay with me. We can figure it out."

"I don't know.."

"You don't have to forgive me. I'll respect any decision you make. I understand that I crossed a line, and I hurt you, and although I love everything about you, I hate the fact that I hurt you. The fact that you were hurt because of me enrages me."

"Why me?"

He laughed, bringing his hand to my cheek. "You're everything I want, dear."

"You're infuriating."

"I know. And if you do someday decide to forgive me, to give me another chance albeit one I don't deserve.. I -"

I cut him off by pressing my lips against his. It was everything I had and hadn't imagined all at once, igniting something in me as I smiled against his lips.

When I pulled away, I saw shock register on Ayato's face, before he looked up at me with desire in those amethyst eyes, like he had desperately, consequentially wanted this just as much as I had.

In a moment he pulled me down again, trapping my lips in his, relishing in the very memory we were living. Somewhere in between the time I was lost in the moment, he had switched our positions, the rain drops falling from his hair onto my face in the proximity.

"You're here." He said, the words more of a confirmation to himself rather than a question to me.

"I'm here."

He kissed me under the rain like he had been waiting for this moment for a long time; slowly leaving a trail of kisses from my hands, my neck and on my lips, basking in the moment like we had all the time in the world. His hands brushed past my hair at the back of my neck and pulled me closer still. I could faintly feel the raindrops on his lips, his touch lingering everywhere he kissed me.