Chapter 4

Both Derek and I stood at the front of the house. A majority of the house was charred. The steps to the porch still stood, and some windows were replaced.

"What is this place?" I asked, still looking.

Derek started to walk up the porch, "I'll show you." I walked with him, the stairs creaking under my weight. The charred remains of the house made me a bit nervous, "This is where I grew up."

I nodded, "What happened to it?"

Derek kept his eyes roaming around the walls, "Somebody set it on fire. It killed a majority of my family. Two of my sisters and myself survived. We left town, but Laura came back, and got murdered." I felt like something was being left out, yet, he continued, "I came back in honor of Laura."

I didn't gasp, and I didn't cry, but I did however, have a look of horror for Derek. The entire Hale line was murdered in cold blood, but three kids happened to get out, "I'm not gonna apologize because I'm sure that's not what you're looking for. But, nobody deserves it. Did they find the person who did it?"

Derek shook his head, "No, but I have a feeling I know who it was." He brought his eye contact back to mine, "What about you. What's your story?"

I sighed, looking at my feet, "Well, it's not as interesting as yours. But, my mom's job requires moving around a lot, and not staying in one place for a long period of time. I've been to a majority of the country now. Uhm... I've never really had friends because I stopped trying when I learned that the friendship wouldn't last at all. So, now I'm here. Mom's actually trying here, so I figured I should. Look where that got me."

Derek chuckled, "What's that supposed to mean?"

I smirked, "I'm acquaintances with two lacrosse players that have a thing for Lycanthropy, and I'm associating myself with a guy who's a lot older than I am." My question is, what if Derek is really the killer, and this whole story was a sob story so I could be his next victim?

"So? I say do whatever you please." Derek started to walk around his house.

I started to speak without my own say, "Do you live here?"

He stopped, and turned to look at me again, "For now. Yes, I do."

I nodded. I wonder what else I could find out, "Do you believe in the whole... Werewolf thing? I mean, I know it's a bit weird, but I'm a die hard Supernatural fan, and-"

"No." Was all Derek said.

Well, no open minded people here, I guess. I stayed silent, knowing that the last subject was all I had to talk about.

I scanned the base floor of the house. A majority of the floor had burn marks where the flames had burned, or the flames just barely touched. There was also a set of stair on the far wall. From what I saw, there was a kitchen on the left, and more rooms beyond that. Very few places were free of black char.

I looked over at the wall. It looked like a set of claw marks on the wall. He's totally gonna kill me. He's gonna do it.

"Are you okay?" Derek asked. He wasn't even looking at me.

I nodded, "I'm dandy. I'm fine. Yup."

He turned, looking straight at me, "You look like you're about to pass out."

I could feel a cool sweat at my hairline. If I keep lying, I might as well, "I'm okay."

He raised his eyebrow. Next thing I know, I about to hit the ground, and Derek takes a few steps. He caught me before I hit the ground... Then? Darkness.