Chapter 23

After taking a few minutes to get outside, Stiles drove the two of us to see Deaton. Apparently, Deaton had a few tests that he couldn't do in the hospital. So, I agreed to go to him.

 Stiles parked the car as I looked at him, "Do you know what tests he has in mind?"

 Stiles shook his head, continuing to stare ahead. No words were spoken the entire time we were in the car. The worst thoughts came to mind. What if he doesn't want to look at me anymore? What if he doesn't care?

 I shook the thoughts, and we walked inside. Deaton quickly locked the doors, and turned the 'Open' sign to 'Closed.'

 "Follow me," He said, seeming tired. Stiles and I followed to the back of the building. There was a set of metal tables, one of which had a bunch of surgical tools next to it, and a bunch of other crap. I had no idea what anything was, but I just went along with it. Deaton turned to me, "Please sit on the table, Ylva."

 I complied, hopping up with some difficulty, "What exactly are you going to test?"

 Deaton pulled on a pair of latex gloves, "Well, I'm going to test your reaction to a few different things."

 "Werewolf things?" I asked, cocking my head a little.

 He nodded, "That, and a few other things."

 I sighed, "Of course."

 He chuckled, and grabbed a purple flower from the little table, "This is wolfsbane." He touched the flower to my skin. Nothing happened, "Alright. I'm going to make a small incision on your arm. See if that makes a difference." He picked up a scalpel and made a precise incision. I flinched, seeing droplets of blood form. Once again, he touched the flower to my open skin. Nothing.

 "Uh- shouldn't she be reacting, or something?" Stiles asked, now pacing. The short time we'd been here, He stood a bit away from me.

 Deaton nodded, "Well, that definitely tells us she's not a werewolf. The question is-"

 "What the hell is she?"

 It was a new voice. Well, to this conversation, it was. Not to any of us.

 "Why the hell are you here, Hale?" I growled at him, narrowing my eyes. Even if I only have one useful eye, I'm still going to glare at the asshole.

 Derek rolled his eyes, "Curiosity."

 I rolled my eyes this time, "Wonderful."

 Deaton sighed, obviously annoyed with our bickering, "Well, another test we can run is the Mountain Ash. Please, stand."

 Again, I did as told. As I stood, I felt a little dizzy, "Stiles," I whispered. He made a quick reaction, standing next to me. I leaned on him for support, feeling my les shake a little, "Thanks."

 "Are you sure you're okay?" Stiles asked.

 I nodded, "Yeah. Continue, Deaton. "

 Deaton paused, but then poured a ring of a black sand thing around Stiles and I. We just stood there. I didn't feel any different.

 "Try to walk out of the circle," Derek stated... Well, ordered.

 As I leaned on Stiles, we both walked forward. Stiles could cross, but me?

 I was stuck.

 ________

 I opened my eyes to a bright light shining above me. I groaned, covering my eyes with my hand. As soon as I opened them, my head started to throb. I sighed, and called out for Stiles. In a matter of moments, his sneakers were squeaking on the floor.

 "Oh, thank god." He mumbled, getting over to me, "Are you okay?"

 I shrugged, slowly sitting up, "Can we turn down the light? It's sort of burning my eyes." The lights dimmed quite a bit, and Deaton entered, "What exactly happened?"

 Stiles held my hand, rubbing across my knuckles as Deaton explained.

 "Well, after standing in the circle, you suddenly had this blank stare on your face. You started to hit the 'walls' of the mountain ash... Stiles tried to calm you down, but you just... growled, " Stiles looked away from me, "So, we broke the circle, and you tackled Stiles. You landed a few punches before Derek hit you on the back of the head."

 I immediately looked at Stiles, "I-I'm so sorry." I felt tears prick my eyes, "Oh, god... Stiles-"

 "It's fine."

 Something was wrong. Why was he acting like that? Maybe it was me punching him, or something?

 I looked at the floor, and Deaton continued, "While you were out, I took some blood," he grabbed a book, "This is what the cells looked like." The picture in the book had some sort of bacteria attacking the red blood cells, "I also know what you are."

 I looked up, surprised. But Stiles? He just looked at his feet, "What am I?"

 "Human."

 ~*~~*~*~*~**~

 A/N: Short?

 I agree.

 The next one is guaranteed to be a lot longer. I promise.

 ~Mae