INTERLUDE - FLASHBACK

The Hawkins Middle talent show.

Astoria had been preparing her song for weeks, her mom insisted she was the best singer ever. And the girl believed her. Her mom was always right.

Just for tonight, her mom had managed to convince the doctors to let her out of the ward, she was here.

"We'll meet again, don't know--" Instruments clattered in the background. She turned towards the curtains. Eddie Munson. "Whoops!" He shouted, his friends laughing maniacally.

Her mom gave her a reassuring smile from the crowd, and she continued on singing shakily. "So will you please say hello, to the folks that I kno--" "BOO!"

Tears swam down her cheeks as Eddie and his friends heckled from the crowd. Even his uncle was.

Choking up, Astoria ran off stage. The laughter spread to the rest of the crowd while the Principal urged them to stop. Even adults were laughing.

 "I hate you!" She screeched towards Eddie, pointing at him.

Two days later, her mom died.

And she never got to hear her daughter sing the full song.

All because of Eddie.

 Astoria was never one to keep a grudge, but the strangest thing was even after all that-- middle-school her still liked him. No matter how bad  he treated her. She felt so guilty for it.

The crush had faded over the years, ending completely during freshman year. But, it was always there in a way. Like a looming shadow. No one knew about it. Not even Chrissy, and she had told almost everything to Chrissy.