CHAPTER 16 - MAKE HIM PAY

THE SUNSET  looms through the motorhome, the soft orange rays reflecting off the insides of the van in a majestic and entrancing way

THE SUNSET  looms through the motorhome, the soft orange rays reflecting off the insides of the van in a majestic and entrancing way. Everyone in the group is sitting grimly, knowing what danger lies ahead, and knowing that there's a possibility not everyone will make it out alive.

That fact just kept replaying over in Astoria's head. A fact that made her squeeze Eddie's hand even tighter. He looks down at her, offering nothing but a small smile of reassurance. She smiles back hesitantly.

But her smile soon disappears as they roll up to the Creel House. No one says anything aloud as Max, Erica, and Lucas exit the motorhome. Nods are passed their way, the group's way of saying, 'you've got this.'

As soon as Max slams the door shut behind her, the motorhome drives off with a small roar. Astoria inhales shakily. 

Their stop is getting closer.

-

At nightfall, the group replays the plan repeatedly, still inside the now trashed-out motorhome. 

"Phase one?

"We meet Erica at the playground. She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready," Robin answers.

"Phase two?"

"Max baits Vecna, he'll go after her, which will put him in his trance."

"Phase three?"

"Us three draw the bats away," Dustin says, pointing at Eddie and Astoria, then to himself. Eddie ruffles Dustin's hair.

"Four?"

"We head into Vecna's newly bat-free lair, and..." Robin waves the gasoline concoction around, the liquid sloshing loudly. "Flambé," She finishes.

Nancy looks down, finished from asking her pop-quiz questions. "Nobody moves on to the next phase until we've all copied. Nobody deviates from the plan, no matter what. Got it?"

"Got it," they all reply in unison, gathering their gear briskly and leaving the motorhome far behind them. 

It probably wouldn't even be there when they got back, there was no doubt in Astoria's mind that when found by the police, they would be fined, or be sent to jail. Although she never thought she ever go to jail in her lifetime, the latter seemed entirely possible considering the situation she has been in through the past couple days.

After stumbling through the trees, they finally reach the Trailer Park.

Steve opens the door, letting out an eerie creak. Cautiously, everyone takes a few looks around before going inside Eddie's trailer. The first person in flicks the light on. The contrast from the gloomy light Astoria had just gotten used to makes her squint.

"Be careful," Dustin says to Steve once they're all inside and Eddie's shut the door behind him. Steve punches the younger boy's arm softly. "Thanks, buddy." Inhaling, he climbs the sheet-rope, "Here goes nothing."

The gate pulsates wetly as he crosses the barrier between the Upside Down and the real word, impressing doing a flip and landing on his feet, he looks up for approval. Nancy looks impressed for a second before Robin mutters sarcastically, "What does he want us to do, applaud?"

Nancy's smile fades. After a few seconds, Steve lays down the mattress for the others. "Alright, lets go," He declares. Nancy takes off her bag and Robin kneels down to give her a jump-boost with her hand, wincing once the pressure of Nancy's body weight is put on her. One after the other, the weapons they brought and themselves go through the gate.

Dustin's the last one in, he sits up, panting for a few seconds before two hands swiftly grab him and pull him up. Thunder booms as the group exits the Upside Down-version of the trailer. In the midst of his thoughts, Steve turns back to the three who are distracting the demo-bats.

They stop walking when Steve begins to talk, "Hey, guys, listen. If anything here starts to go South, I mean, at all... you abort." 

He continues with his inspirational speech, "Okay? Draw the attention of the bats, keep them busy for a minute or two. We'll take care of Vecna. Don't try to be cute," He turns to Astoria and she gives him an confused look. "Or a hero, or something. Okay?  You guys are just--"

"Decoys," Dustin interrupts mundanely. "Don't worry, you can be the hero, Steve." Astoria nods furiously, she had one mission, to save the world. Not a biggie.

And, she didn't need to be the main character of that mission. She didn't want to be the main character of that mission. Because, everyone knows what happens to people who try to the main character, and it's never good.

"Absolutely, I mean... look at us, we are not heroes," Eddie says with a chuckle. With a nod, Steve turns back to Robin and Nancy, leaving the group behind. But Astoria stops him. "Hey, Steve."

He turns back at her words, and she mutters a quick, "Make him pay." Steve nods in agreement, "I promise we will." He marches away alongside Nancy and Robin. By the determined look on their faces, Astoria fully believed that this promise would be kept.

They would kill Vecna. They had to.

-

[A/N]

ok rlly short chapter and also RLLY delayed chapter but imma tell u why. it's like almost the end of term so ive had assesments and assignments and essays and speeches and tests and im literally withering away like the avengers in infinity war.

im sorry ik yall were expecting the classic "i stabbed myself 50 times and im in hospital but anyways sorry for the late update" but i was gen just being lazy and for that i apologise

BUT i told my dad this was an essay so im gonna get more time to work on it bc he thinks it's schoolwork cos im so sneaky like that. ANYWAY tonight i have so much stuff to do but im gonna try to get atleast 1 more chapter done.

IM SO SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE I HOPE U UNDERSTAND

***ALSO INCASE YALL FORGOT OR U JUST DIDNT READ THE AUTHOR NOTE, EDDIE WILL NOT DIE!!!!****

PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE, FOLLOW, ADD TO UR READING LISTS, COMMENT, SHARE WITH FRIENDS, RECCOMEND TO PPL AND STUFF

-eustelia

words: 1000

------