CHAPTER 17 - MASTER OF PUPPETS

[I recommend playing Master of Puppets by Metallica in the background for effect

[I recommend playing Master of Puppets by Metallica in the background for effect.]

PANTING and sweating, Astoria steps back to admire her and Dustin's creation. And her and Dustin's creation only, because while she and him were nailing metal to his trailer to save the world, Eddie was asking Astoria what song to play on his guitar.

However, any of her suggestions were quickly shut down with the same three repeated responses:

"I don't know how to play that."

"That's not metal enough."

"That's not long enough!"

Eddie had finally decided on Master Of Puppets by Metallica. Astoria secretly approved of the decision, but out of spite for her rejections, she just said a simple, "Let's hope the bats like metal."

Although Eddie had done practically no work, he swipes sweat off his forehead. "Not bad." To be honest, the trailer looked like a pile of junk, but at least was protected. Metal guarded the sides, planks of wood randomly placed over the windows to stop the bats from trespassing. 

 Astoria nudges him angrily in protest of his lack of work. He chuckles and Dustin smiles. "Now for the fun part."  

The three stomp inside the trailer. Violently slamming open his bedroom door, Eddie stops abruptly, whimpering in excitement and muttering curses under his breath. "It's like... she was destined for an alternate dimension."

Astoria rolls her eyes dramatically. He snatches it off it's hook, the guitar strings singing at the touch of his hands. "What do you say? Are you reading for the most metal concert in the history of the world?"

He turns around to an excited Dustin and a blanked Astoria. "That a rhetorical question?" Dustin queries, which is an answer to Eddie's question in itself. The older boy puts his beloved guitar over his shoulder, flipping it over to his back while saying, "Let's do it."

-

On the rooftop of the trailer, the three just sit there, awaiting the command to begin Phase 3. "So, uh, are you gonna tell me now?" Eddie mumbles quietly in Astoria's direction. She tilts her head for him to elaborate. "You said you might."

Those words jog her memory. "Oh." The girl gulps, pursing her lips. "Well, you know how in middle school... we, um, hated each other." 

He nods slowly, gazing at her intensely. She continues to stutter, "I didn't really care how mean you were... it's hard to explain. And then in the bathroom at Nancy's I realised that it never went awa--"

The radio crackles and their heads turn towards it. "She's in. Move onto Phase Three." 

"Copy that. Initiating Phase Three," Dustin replies loudly and looks towards Eddie. "Why do we always get interrupted?" Eddie groans, getting up. 

Dustin plugs in the amp then turns up the volume, the feedback crackling. The older boy inhales, but before starting his song, he murmurs, "Chrissy, this is for you."

As he begins to play, she quickly calms herself down from the conversation and stands up to admire Eddie's skills.

Astoria head bangs, her hair flying around wildly as she sings along in a 'metal' singing voice, "End of passion play, crumbling away!" After a few more lyrics have passed, Dustin checks in the distance for the bats, but to no avail.

The electric guitar booms around the Upside Down, shaking the trailer ever so slightly. Once again, Dustin checks his binoculars. Creatures shriek in the distance, the bats finally coming into view.

"Guys! We gotta lock down in T-Minus thirty seconds!" He holds up a three and a zero with his hands so they can understand over the loud noise. Astoria prepares to run. "T-minus twenty!"

Eddie closes his eyes, his hands sliding up the guitar to create a riff before shredding a guitar solo. "T-minus ten!" Astoria passes a worried look towards Eddie, who has his eyes slammed shut, unable to see the hand motions of Dustin.

"Five!

No one needs binoculars to see the bats now. There coming close, and fast. "One!" The solo swells before trailing off. Eddie quickly dumps his guitar before running off the roof with the others. "Move, move, move!"

They jump down onto a trailer truck, dodging the bats that are diving down. Once they all get through the fence, Astoria screams towards Eddie, "Shut it!" 

As soon as it is shut, the bats leech onto the metal curves of the fence, screeching in protest. They run inside the house and slam the door behind them. "Dude, most metal ever!" Dustin shouts in excitement.

Astoria leans on the wall to catch her breath as Eddie and Dustin holler and jump up and down like two children about to get a lollipop. She groans. 

THIS WAS ONLY THE BEGGINING OF THE FIGHT.

-

[A/N]

ok... i know what yall will say: "why havent u fucking updated u literally said u were gonna dox urself if u didnt" and i rlly hoped id have some epic excuse like "i went cliff jumping and im in hospital" but im lame and it really just was school

LEMME EXPLAIN: it was like the end of term and all my assesments and assignments came at once and then i had extra curriculars after school and then i was getting ready for an event so i had to go shopping and i also had to look after my pets so pls forgive me

but it's the school holidays for me now so ill try finish these chapters by the end of this week

ALSO SORRY FOR THE SHORT CHAPTERS... im tryna do one chapter per scence because it just makes it easier for me to cope and to edit... 

PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE, COMMENT, FOLLOW, ADD TO UR READING LISTS, SHARE W FRIENDS, ETC.

-eustelia

words: 973

-------