INTERLUDE - FLASHBACK 2

PLAYING on the playground with Eddie Munson after school wasn't really what Astoria had imagined to be fun, but she was having the time of her life. 

"Stop!" She shouts out giddily to the boy violently pushing her on the swing.

But, this just encourages Eddie to push harder. As if by command, Astoria immediately tries to jump off, bashing her head on the bark-softened ground while doing so. She winces in pain and Eddie rushes over to her in worry.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to," He says to face-planted girl laying down in front of him. When she doesn't respond, he gasps in worry and turns her body over. Eddie expected her to be dead, or something along those lines, not laughing at his face.

He laughs along when he realises his mistake. "I got you!" She says wildly, getting up and brushing her body off as they run to climb the playground. After the laughter settles down, the two find themselves sitting next to each other at the top of the plastic slide.

Astoria looks down sadly at her grazed knees and her lip quivers, "Why did you ruin my song, Eddie?" He looks sideways at her and groans. 

"When will you let that go--" "The counsellor said we had to talk about our feelings!"

Eddie purses his lips and dangles his feet off the edge. Tears fills her eyes, "My mommy wanted to see me sing. Why did you have to ruin it?" He reaches over and squeezes her hand, she pulls back swiftly in disgust, muttering something about cooties.

He laughs a bit before the conversation goes grim again. "I was jealous, Astoria." The little girl looks over to him with widened and confused eyes. "Is it because you have no friends?" She asks mockingly, and Eddie pushes her angrily.

"No! It's because your parents actually care about you!" He shouts at her and she jumps back a bit at the loud tone. Eddie notices this and whispers a quiet, "Sorry."

Astoria looks at Eddie with sympathy, "I'm really sorry about your parents, Ed." She holds out her pinky and he looks at her with confusion. 

"Pinky promise... that we'll never fight again," She says confidently. Eddie smiles at her gratefully at the fact that she forgave him and wraps his pinky around hers.

But, it wasn't kept, just like so many other promises. "I'll be okay, I promise," Her mother had said to her. And then she died. 

"I'll stop drinking, I promise," Her father had said. And then he started drinking more.

NEVER AGAIN WOULD ASTORIA TRUST A PROMISE.