Chapter 1

Chapter 1
Pearl's POV

Rule number one of being the kingdoms royal ambassador/babysitter. Don't be late.

Of course, I broke that rule today. I quickly jumped from my bed, nearly hitting my head on the ceiling. I bolted out the door, skipping breakfast, and swam as fast as I could to the castle.

I leaned against the big bronze door of the palace, trying to catch my breath. After a minute or so, I gripped the shiny door handles and pulled open the doors.

When I got inside, Matthew greeted me, with his butt on Pale's throne. "Pale's been looking for you all day," Matthew said, twirling his trident.

The trident grew bigger as he grew older. It now stood two feet taller than him, and Matthew has grown about six feet tall. He must have his father's genes.

The trident also glowed with a bright blue energy, that could destroy a city in seconds. Which made him look a lot more intimidating than a normal 14 year old.

"What did she want me for?" I finally asked. "And why are you on her throne?"

"I'm keeping it warm for her," Matthew said cracking a grin.

He's changed a lot since three years ago. He's built up a much more muscular build, including thick biceps and a four-pack. I guess you would kind of expect that for someone who commands the military.

He grew out his curly black hair, and got some chest hair. Overall, he's grown into a pretty handsome guy. (Not that I'm into him or anything.)

"She's cold-blooded now. She doesn't need anybody to keep a chair warm for her."

"She was cold-blooded even before she was a fish," Matthew said chuckling to himself.

"I heard that," a voice yelled from up above.

I turned my attention to the top of the stairs and saw Pale, looking murderously at Matthew.

"Get your butt of my throne Matthew," Pale said.

Matthew sighed and got off her throne.

"Thank you," Pale said.

"Sure, whatever," Matthew muttered as his trident's blue energy glowed slightly brighter.

Pale swam down the stairs and landed in front of Matthew and I.

"The merpeople from the other kingdoms are going to be coming here soon," Pale said biting her lip.

I sighed. "Your nervous, aren't you?" I said.

"Of course she's nervous!" Matthew said. "17 years ago, everyone thought she was dead."

"They also thought you, Matthew, were dead too," Pale replied. "That was only 14 years ago."

I glanced from sibling to sibling. I remember their funerals like it was yesterday, and here they are, talking like their 'death' was nothing to the kingdom.

"Today is the big day!" A voice said breaking the silence.

I glanced to the right and saw King Neptune. I bowed in respect.

The King turned to Pale and Matthew.

"Are you nervous?" He asked.

Pale's dad spoke with lots of enthusiasm in his voice, like a proud father would.

Matthew shrugged. "It'll probably be a breeze."

Pale shook her head. "No it won't. I'm scared."

"Don't be Pale," Neptune said. "This is just all like a regular meeting, only your hosting it."

Pale nodded nervously.

"Don't worry Pale," Matthew said putting her arm around her and flashing a cocky smile. "You have me."

Pale rolled her eyes. "Your a fuckboy Matthew."

Matthew frowned. Obviously the word fuckboy was a human insult. I never got their relationship. One minute they loved each other, the next minute they hated each other. Humans are weird.

Neptune furrowed his eyebrows in anger. "Pale, tell Matthew your sorry. That is completely absurd!"

Pale bit her lip even harder, blood dripped from it. "I'm really sorry, I didn't mean it," she quickly said.

Matthew's frown faded into a small smile. Once again, a strange relationship.

Before Matthew could say anything back, the sound of sea trumpets was heard outside.

The royal people from the different kingdoms were here.

The King looked at his kids in the eyes. "Just remember, these merpeople are a lot older than you. However, that doesn't mean they are wiser. Speak your mind, you both are just as important as they are. They might ignore you or try and prove you wrong but hold your ground, and don't say anything about humans. I love you both, you are going to do great," the King said before kissing Pale and Matthew on the top of their heads.

Then Neptune left the room.

"Your going to do great Pale!" I said swimming up and hugging her. I turned to Matthew. "You too, um...bro? Is that right?"

Nervousness spread throughout my stomach and crept up my throat. I heard Matthew use that word couple times. I hope that was the right context. I didn't want my fear of messing up to become a reality.

Matthew laughed. "Yep it's right," Matthew said. He suddenly wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into a hug. It was nice and warm, like being wrapped up in a nice seaweed blanket, which everyone needs to feel every so often. I kind of melted into his arms and hugged him back, leaning my head against his shoulder.

After a couple of seconds, he released me. I glanced over at Pale who made a strange face. I tried my hardest not to laugh. Oh Pale.

(But I still don't have feelings for him. Besides, he's dating someone.)