Chapter 11

Pearl's POV

The ride home was long and awkward.

Pale sat in the front next to David, who was in the drivers seat. I sat in the back on the hard tan cushions.

I miss the sea. We don't have hard cushions there that hurt my back.

Everything was silent except for the quiet jazz music coming from inside the car. David had his eyes fixed on the narrow road with both hands on the steering wheel. He seemed normal enough, why didn't Pale like him?

Pale rested her head on her hand and kept her soft brown eyes to the window, watching the landscape pass by.

After about five minutes, David pulled into the driveway of our house.

"Thanks David," Pale muttered as she got out of the car.

I followed her example and walked up to the front door. Pale shoved the keys into the the lock and opened the door. She walked inside and threw them on to a nearby table.

"You don't like him very much do you?" I asked as I watched Pale angrily march up the stairs.

Pale turned around and shook her head.

"Why?" I asked concerned.

Pale shrugged. "I told you. He's just...different. He's not my dad. He's my stepdad...no one can replace my father."

"Are you sure you're not overreacting? I mean...he seems to be making an effort. Why don't you give him a chance?"

"Please stop trying to change my mind Pearl."

"Change your mind?"

"Yeah. You're trying to-"

Suddenly, a phone ring echoed through the room. Pale whipped out her phone and glanced at the caller ID.

"Hold that thought," she said as she pressed a button and held the phone to her ear. "Hey what's up?"

Pale paused for a minute, listening to the person on the other line. Pale bit her lip nervously as the silence continued.

Then her face dropped like a skydiver without a parachute. She looked almost sick, like she was going to puke any second.

What's wrong? I wanted to ask her. But I knew she wouldn't respond. Pale never responds to anyone while she's on the phone.

"Wait, what?" Pale asked, twiddling her thumb. "You-you-"

The silence continued more.

"I don't know if I can do that."

The silence went on.

"Tomorrow? This is a huge deal! What if she doesn't like me?"

Pale ran her hand through her messy hair.

"I know you'll love me no matter what...okay...if it makes you happy...I'll be over tomorrow around four-"

Pale let out a deep sigh.

"Bye you little poop," Pale said coldly before pressing the end button. She turned to face me, a cold expression on her face.

"Who was it?" I asked.

"Brian," Pale responded monotonous. "He wants me to meet his mom."