Chapter 10

Pale's POV

"So do you like it?"

Pearl picked up another French fry and popped it into her mouth.

"It's weird," Pearl said puckering.

"Well you better get used to it. You're going to be eating a lot of exotic foods while you're here."

Pearl wiped some crumbs off of the small outdoor table by the food courts.

Pearl frowned at the last French fry in the basket. "Why do you eat such weird stuff?"

I laughed. "I don't know, why do you eat raw fish?"

"Because it tastes good," Pearl said with a smirk.

"Then you just answered your own question."

There was a moment of silence between us.

Pearl drummed her fingers against the wood and looked around at the other people, carrying out their daily lives.

I gazed out into the ocean. I could hear the roaring waves crash against the sand and hear the laughter of children who ran across the seashore.

It felt good to be home, if I can even call land my home anymore. However, with each step I took I just wanted to melt into the ground and kiss the earth lovingly.

I knew that the sea was a beautiful place with Matthew, Pearl, my dad, the throne and tons of adventures. But, the land drew me in the most unique way. It was my hometown with Pete, Brian, my mom, Ally and all the activities I left behind.

Maybe I could live in both worlds. I am half-mermaid half-human. But would it get complicated? Could being a human and a queen get complicated? Brian has already put up with so much, how much longer until he-

"So how was your date with Brian today?"

I snapped back into reality. Just think of this as a vacation. Try to enjoy yourself.

"Uh what?"

Pearl sighed. "How was your date with Brian?"

"We didn't go on a date," I denied. How do I explain this to her? Oh you I just, you know, just like...made out with his face...on top of him...in a car...no big deal, humans do it all the time!

Pearl let out a sarcastic laugh. "Haha, very funny Pale. It doesn't take someone an hour to say hi."

I furrowed my eyes and tried to play dumb. "What are you talking about?"

I resisted the urge to hold back my laughter. My face felt hot. I must be blushing. What am I even doing? She obviously knows something happened.

"Come on Pale, what did you do? Sex, lunch-"

"PEARL!"

Pearl bursted out laughing. "Okay, okay I'm joking! But you did go somewhere didn't you?"

"You're as bad as Matthew!"

I could see the eager look in Pearl's eyes. I knew I couldn't torture her anymore. I mean, we are best friends.

"I mean...it wasn't bad-"