Chapter 19

Pearl's POV

"Yeah and that's how my brother got arrested on Somer's Day," Jacob said as we walked down the boardwalk together.

I laughed. "What happened to him afterwards?"

"My cousins had to bail him out. My parents were in the UK doing business."

"What do your parents work as?" I asked, looking up at him. There was something about his face that drew me in, I had to fight myself to look away.

Jacob ran his hand through his hair. "Uh, actually...I-I don't know. They usually go to the UK every month for about a week. I mean, It's fine, I have my brother and sister-"

"Yeah, I think I know how you feel."

I heard the shrieks of seagulls in the sky and children laughing as they ran down the boardwalk. Life seemed happy on land, peaceful.

"Hey," Jacob said, breaking the silence. "Did you hear?"

"Hear what?"

"Apparently this year has been the biggest shark migration since 1980."

My stomach sunk, but surprisingly not as much as when someone usually mentions sharks. "Really?"

I hope everyone's safe at home.

"Yeah," Jacob said with a big smile across his face. I like his smile.

"So where are you from?" Jacob asked. "Like your ancestry-"

"My ancestry-"

"Well...uh..." Derek scratched the back of his neck. "We get a lot of visitors from New York, but I don't think I've heard an accent quite like yours. America's a melting pot, so-"

Melting pot?

"Oh y-yeah," I said, biting my lip. What are some other countries...think Pearl! "I'm from uh...f-f-"

"Finland?" Derek asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah," I said nodding.

I heard my cellphone vibrate quickly in my pocket.

"Hold on," I said as I pulled out my cellphone.

Pale: Hey, Pearl. I had to take care of some mermaid business, you can call mom if you want. Bye!

I closed the phone and put it back in my pocket.

"What was that about?"

"Just Pale, her mom's here to pick us up," I said, just realizing how much time I've spent with Jacob. "I had a really good time today, but I need to go home now."

"I had a really good time too," Jacob said turning to me. "We should do this tomorrow."

"Same place, same time?"

"Okay."

I walked away, cellphone to my ear, calling mom.

Oh my god.

He wants to hang out. Like, actually.

Omg.

Omg.

OMG.