Chapter 12

Pale's POV

The heat of the afternoon did not help the swarm of bees in my stomach and throat.

I know I'm overreacting a bit, I mean, it's just his mom. But still, Brian told me about her. She's not exactly the sweetest, nicest lady.

You're going to have to tell her you are a mermaid.

I smoothed out my yellow sundress and knocked on the old wooden door three times.

I waited a little bit, twiddling my thumbs and biting my lip. I heard the bronze doorknob click as the door was pulled open.

My eyes lit up as I put on my best greeting smile. "Hi!" I said as I quickly hugged Brian.

"Come on in," he said after I released him.

I stepped inside the comfortable home. All the walls were brown, and rooms were filled with simple furniture.

At least it's better than the old trailer. I shivered at the memories there.

Brian grabbed my arm and lead my into the small kitchen. All the walls were  bright yellow and white cabinets lined the right side of the room.

A tall woman stood up from the small wooden table on the left side of the room.

She walked over to me, black heels clacking against the floor.

"You must be Brian's girlfriend," the woman said, holding out her hand for me to shake. "I'm his mother Marilyn."

I'm surprised my arm wasn't shaking when I reached out to grab her hand. Marilyn towered over me, even without her heels.

You are going to have to tell her some point. Why not now?

But I barely know her...

Good point.

Her shiny red hair was in a small bob and she wore a pale pink dress shirt with a black pencil skirt. She resembled a business woman, a very intimidating business woman.

"Why don't we eat? I'm very interested in you Pale."

After I tell you I'm a mermaid, you're going to be really interested in me.

I gulped, the bees in my stomach only getting worse. "Uh, O-okay."

How am I going to tell her I'm a mermaid?

Will she understand?

Didn't she divorce Pete because he was obsessed with mermaids?

Too much anxiety!

Just don't think about it.

What

Do

I

Do?!?!?

I took my seat next to Brian, just trying to act as calm as possible. Marilyn sat beside Pete on the other side of the table, who was already helping himself to his 'world famous' Puerto Rican food.

"So this is the first white girl Brian's brought home-"

And the first mermaid.