Chapter 4

Chapter 4
Pale's POV

Tears covered my cheeks as I did nothing but cry into my arms on my bedroom floor.

I knew that I had to figure out a way to stop the other kingdoms from killing the fishermen, but I couldn't even figure out how to get off the floor.

My brain wasn't functioning. Life was so much more simpler when I was human. I only had two jobs: school and taking Matthew to the beach every Saturday. Why can't I go back to that?

I wiped the tears from eyes. How did mermaids cry? Why did they cry?

Suddenly, the shell-phone on my dresser rang violently. I groaned and thrusted my hand upward to my dresser. My fingers grasped the rough surface of the appliance and I held it to my ear.

"Hello? Who is this," I said in between sniffles

"ListenPaleitsPearlandsomethinghashappenedImyouwellyouthreeyearsagoandbyyouimeanyourspeciesimhumanpaleimhumanidontknowhowithappenedbuticantbreathunderwaterandimcompletlynakedandscaredpleasehelp!"

"Wait Pearl slow down!" I yelled.

"Sorry!" Pearl said, her voice frantic. "I don't know how it happened, but I'm suddenly human! I have legs and I can't breathe underwater and I'm completely naked! I have no time to explain everything but just get down here!!!"

"Wait Pearl! Where are you?" I yelled.

"Um...I'm a little west of the kingdom. JUST COME QUICKLY!!!!"

I sighed. "Alright I'll be right over."

I suddenly found the push to get myself off the floor. I mean, yes I'm terrified and have no idea what to do next, but at least it's a new adventure.

I swam out of my room and dashed down the hallway and out the door. I soared through the crowds of people, nearly knocking over my tiara numerous times.

"Hey Queen Paleren!" I heard someone yell.

I skidded to a halt and turned my head. Across the alley, I saw Eric, Pearl's boyfriend.

He quickly swam across and faced me. He was approximately 20 centimeters taller than me with a wide build.

He had large chest and bicep muscles and a dull green tail that curled behind him a bit.

"Hey your majesty, um...do you know where Pearl is, I really need to find her-"

I had absolutely so patience for this guy. I had a job to do.

"Listen, Eric, I have an urgent job to do. So please, go find someone else to ask about her."

"Oh yeah, of course," Eric said slowly swimming away.

"Great," I said, dashing off at the speed of sound.

I nearly flew out of the city and began heading west. Poor kid, I thought. He's completely oblivious to Pearl's condition.

I flew past the beach and ship yards in search of any naked human teenage girls.

Then I saw her. All alone and afraid, shaking next to a small rock, was little Pearl, her body all subdued into the water except for her head.

"Pale! Pale! Pale!" Pearl screamed.

"Be quiet Pearl!" I yelled back. "You might attract someone!"

No one was around and we were in the middle of the ocean, but still, you never know what hungry creatures are lurking below you.

"Well what am I supposed to do?!" Pearl screamed.

"Um...okay...uh," I racked my brain for ideas. "Alright um...I need to find you clothes, just let me find some. Just keep for body in the water and your head out. Don't go underwater or you'll drown. Kick your legs back and forth to stay afloat but at different times. Alright just give a second to find some-"