Chapter 6

Chapter 6
Pale's POV

"So this is where you grew up?" Pearl asked tilted her head.

I nodded. "Yep."

The small, dark blue colonial with two rows of three windows looked the same as three years ago. A small, bronze number "18" shown in the mid-afternoon sun next to the old wooden door.

Pearl and I slowly approached the door. Hopefully my mom wouldn't get mad. I mean, I'm her daughter, she would be happy to see me? Right?

"Alright," I said taking in a deep breath. My stomach filled with butterflies, something told me that this wasn't a good idea.

The door swung open and I was greeted with my mom. Her golden eyes flashed with surprise and anger. Her ginger-brown hair was a gorgeous, frizzy mess.

"Pale!" Mom yelled furiously.

Uh oh.

"Why are you here? How are you here?"

"See mom...uh...we had a little incident that gave Pearl legs."

I tried to soften my voice, but it's hard when your mom is staring murderously into your soul.

"Well don't just stand there! Get inside!" She grabbed Pearl and I by the back and guided us inside the house. The door slammed behind us.

"What do you mean incident?" Mom whispered.

"Mrs.Atlanta," Pearl said. "I'm not sure what happened, but I was swimming and all of a sudden, I was human! Then, Pale suddenly turned human and we decided that it was best to stay here until we figured out a plan."

My mom blinked twice. "English, please Pearl."

Pearl furrowed her eyebrows and repeated herself. She spoke with a strange accent, which made sense because mermaid language was just a sequence of clicks, kind of like dolphins. I always found it weird how all mermaids knew English, maybe it has something to do with ancient history.

"Pale! You have a kingdom to rule."

"Yes mom, I know, but I can still turn into a mermaid. I'll just show up on land to look after Pearl."

My mother still looked at me like I was crazed. Honestly, she wasn't far off. I had no idea what I was doing.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Pearl needs my help and I know that I'm the only one who can take care of her."

"Oh Pale, what a surprise. I didn't know you were uh...human?"

I turned my head to the top of the circular staircase. David stood, looking very confused.

"Uh...hi David," I said waving awkwardly. "Oh, ya know, just visiting. Carry on."

Mom turned around too. "Yes, carry on honey."

David walked back upstairs. How am I going to deal with him, a new father, for...god knows how long?

"Listen Pale, I'll let you and Pearl stay, but please, try and get back to the ocean as quick as you can, and call Matthew, he can cover for you when your gone."

"Thanks mom," I said.

Tears began to fall from my mother's eyes.

"I'm just so happy my little baby is home," she squeaked. "Give your mom a hug."

I laughed and gave her a quick squeeze.

She released me, but still held on to my arms.

"Now I'm going to go get some new sheets for the bed. Pearl can sleep in Matthew's room and you should be making some phone calls."