Chapter 25

Pearl's POV

"We are gathered here today," the merman priest began. "To honor those who lives were lost during the war, including our beloved King Neptune."

I looked up at Matthew, whose arm was wrapped around my shoulder. I could see a tear drip down his face. I reached up and wiped it off with my fingers, he didn't make eye contact with me. He just continued to look out at the ceremony. It was almost as if he was a blank slate, just a statue watching the world go by.

I leaned my head on his shoulder, moving my tail along the boat floor closer to him.

"I should have been a better wife."

I looked up at Pale's mom. Tears stained her face. I could see the her gray roots and wrinkled face, she grew old, but not with her husband.

"Promise me you'll be a better wife Pale," Pale's mom asked in between sniffles.

I looked over at Pale. She sat on the other side of the boat, hugging Brian close. She didn't answer.

She was like Matthew, just a blank slate. Tears stains marked up her face. Her eyes were red and blotchy.

I looked back up at Matthew. "Are you okay?" I asked him.

This time Matthew looked down at me. His eyes were red and puffy. This is the second time I've seen him cry.

Matthew nodded. "It will get better," he said. It sounded more like he was trying to convince himself more than me.

I sighed and buried my face into the crook of his neck. "Thanks for fixing me," I whispered.