Chapter 8

Chapter 8
Pale's POV

It's kind of strange that I know Brian's address. I never thought I would need it, I guess things change.

How do I do this? What do I say? Will he even answer it?

One thousand thoughts were swimming through my head, most of them were pretty horrible too.

Do I just go up and knock? Is that too weird?

How was a going to do this? My legs ached from walking half a mile. (Just a perk of not having a drivers license.)

I sighed. "It's okay Pale, you can do this. It's just your boyfriend, he wouldn't care if you scared the bejesus out of him, right?"

I walked up his short driveway straight to the wooden door. I noticed a small doorbell and pressed it gingerly. The morning was humid, making my hair stick up in a variety of places. The air smelt of fresh grass and dew. It felt great to be back on land, so many things I've missed.

I heard an unlocking and twisting of a bronze doorknob.

The door opened completely and I was faced with Brian. His brown hair swayed gently in the breeze. The sun glinted on his Puerto Rican skin.

He wore a gray t-shirt and dark wash jeans shorts.

"Pale...I...what are you doing here?" he asked, awestruck.

"It's a long story," I said. "But I'm here now."

Brian let out a small laugh and picked me up by the waist.

"Hey what are you doing?" I joked, laughing.

"You have no idea how much I love you," he said as he kissed me softly.

"I love you too," I said giving him a small peck. "Now let me down!"

Brian set me down laughing. "Come on!" He said grabbing my hand and leading me inside. "You can finally meet my mom, she's been wanting to see you, I've been holding it off of course, I had no idea how she was going to react."

A wave of nausea came over me like a violent storm.

"Your...your mom?" I choked.

Brian turned around, eyebrows furrowed. "Yeah...is that a problem?"

"No! No!" I quickly said. "It's just, everything is happening so fast, why can't we just enjoy my time on land before I meet your mom."

I intertwined my hands with his and stared into his deep brown eyes. "We could go somewhere," I suggested.

Brian raised an eyebrow. "Like a date?"

I sighed. "Well I'm completely broke, so if you really wanted to-"

Brian cut me off. "You know what, I've got some money, how about tonight? Okay, or maybe right now? Just lunch, what you're wearing now is fine, come on Pale!"

I laughed as I grabbed his car keys.

He snatched them away from me. "You can't drive remember?"

"I know," I said wrapping my arms around his neck and giving him a quick peck on the lips.

His large, firm hands gripped my waist. The cold metal of the car keys pressed against my bare skin that didn't fit under my three year old shirt.

"Why are you so happy all of a sudden?" Brian asked looking me deeply in the eyes.

I smiled. "I don't know, I'm just here now-"

I was quickly cut off when Brian's lips pressed against mine. A warm feeling surged through my body like a tidal wave. Everything was just so perfect. I was here on land, without a responsibility in the world, just kissing my boyfriend, being happy and stress-free for once.