Chapter 22

Pale's POV

Pale and I sprinted to Brian's house.

Must warn Brian. Must warn Brian.

We pushed through the door, swinging it open so violently it knocked a picture frame down. It shattered into a million pieces on the mahogany floor.

"Brian! Pete!" I yelled.

I heard the thunder of footsteps from down the hall.

"Pale is that you?" Brian's voice echoed.

"Yeah it's me!" I yelled. "Where's Pete?"

"He's out, why what's wrong?" Brian asked, running up to me.

I sighed. "You're in a lot of danger."

Brian furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

Just tell him.

You can do it.

Trust him.

You can trust him right?

"The leaders from other kingdoms-"

"Wait there's more of you?"

I nodded. "Want to kill the fishermen-"

Brian gasped. "Y-you should have told me, Pale!"

"I know, I know, but Matthew and I tried to stop it and we couldn't. Now they're putting their plan into action. I don't know how, but probably sirens-"

"Sirens? Aren't you a siren?"

"No, sirens. Evil creatures that live in the depth of the ocean. They're old, my ancestors in fact. We condemned them to the bottom of the sea in the beginning of time, all they do is practice dark magic-"

"If you guys condemned them, why wouldn't they kill you?"

"Their only mission is to kill humans-"

"Oh-"

I nodded.

"So how do I protect myself?"

"Do you have earplugs?"

"Yeah why?"

"Plug them in your ears and don't take them out, no matter what."

"What about my dad?"

"Call him up," Pearl answered as she tossed Brian her phone. "Tell him to get over here immediately, or find something to plug into his ears."

"How are you gonna fix this? I can't keep my ears plugged in forever."

"We'll try," I confirmed.

I felt a tear roll down my cheek. I didn't even realize I was crying. I just felt like a stone wall, a soldier. Maybe I just sprung a leak.

A soft melody echoed throughout the house. It slowly got louder. Come to me child, I can give you what you want. The words were old, ancient. I could barely distinguish the phrases. The sounds were mangled, crazy but also completely organized at the same time. It was...beautiful.