Chapter 5

Time had passed since our last fun mission. Or at least the last mission that put out lives in danger. Basically the same. It wasn't like we stopped defending dragons from the hunters, but we just, didn't have any moment to fight against hunters. We guessed they were laying low since the last attack, and since they didn't want to be found, we couldn't find them. We still did routine missions and patrols, but it wasn't as stressful. By now it was fully winter, around a month after I joined the riders. My hut finally looked like a home, with proper furniture and decorations. My treasure hideout was also getting bigger, as Boreas and I got one or two things every time we went patrolling or to the markets, which now weren't dangerous for me since I was one of the dragon riders. I was getting used to life there, Boreas and I were soon a vital part of the riders, and we both learnt how to work as a group. And I also got used to being around the riders, which was a nice change from being alone with a dragon. Besides, having friends felt nice. Astrid and Heather were nice to train with, but also to have some girl time, which to my surprise Ruffnut often joined. Snotlout wasn't incredibly annoying all the time, so that was an improvement, but he was still flirting with me and Heather non-stop. Hiccup and Fishlegs were interested on my knowledge about other cultures, merchants and traders, and it came in handy more times than I had expected. And then there were the twins. I grew closer to them than to anyone. They were actually really smart when they wanted to, and they hid a lot of talents behind that chaotic and "loki" personality they had. But, the only problem was, growing closer to them also meant growing closer to one of them in special. And I wasn't ready for that. I wasn't ready to accept any feelings I might have or make them grow. I didn't like thinking about it, so I didn't.

I just finished doing a morning patrol, when I heard Hiccup call for me in the clubhouse. I flew down with Boreas, and there I found all the riders.

-Are you guys plotting against me or something?

-If we plotted against you, you would have been done by now, Crow -said Ruff.

-I'll keep that in mind.

I looked around and saw everyone had bags on the saddles of their dragons, and they looked like they were about to go... Somewhere. I tried to remember if today we had a big mission or something, but I couldn't think about anything.

-Actually, we wanted to surprise you and Heather.

-We are going to Berk for Snoggeltog! -said Fishlegs with excitement.

-Snoggel what? -I asked. Then I remembered the date. 24 of December. That must be what they called Christmast- Ohhh, is it like a celebration of winter where you get gifts and stay home with your family?

-Yep, and since Viggo has been noticeably absent these last days, we thought we could all take a break and celebrate the holidays with our family.

-But wouldn't that leave the base defenceless?

-Oh no, we got another Hiccup -said Snotlout with a grin.

-I-I thought so too, but the thing is that tonight all dragons will go away to lay eggs and then return on the 25th. Doesn't Boreas also do that?

-I don't think so. But, to be fair, Boreas is a young dragon and has lived with me since he hatched from his egg, so he doesn't have the same natural instincts as the others.

-I guess that makes sense. But since we have to stay without dragons, or at least with only two dragons since Toothless doesn't leave either, we might as well take some time off and stay on an island well-defended by Vikings. What do you two say?

I looked at Heather, who was also listening to his words, and she gave me a confident look.

-We are in!