Chapter Twenty-Six: Christmas

Draco had been in the Great Hall when he got a letter back from his mother. The owl flew in, dropped the mail right onto his mashed potatoes, and flew off again leaving Draco to grumble at his ruined food.

He swiftly put the letter into his robe pocket that was already filled with headache potions—although it was less full than it had been when he'd first been given them—and continued on eating as if his fingers weren't twitching with unbridled curiosity.

Once supper had ended, Draco sat up in his chair and left for the Slytherin dormitories. He made it to his rooms where, making sure to pull the curtains flush around him and casting a quick locking spell, he opened up the letter excitedly.

His mother's handwriting was clean and swirly, the cursive scrawled across the page elegantly like a delicate peacock who spread its feathers as if it were fine china that needed to be admired. There weren't any ink splotches or smudges on the paper, nor was it crinkled in any way.

Draco could hear the satisfying scrape of expensive parchment against itself as he folded open the letter and read the contents.

Dear Draco,

I was delighted to receive a letter from you as I had been hoping you would decide to contact me again. In regards to your question about the Christmas break, your father and I have decided it best for you to stay at Hogwarts this time, even though it is not tradition. We don't want to push you into anything so soon after losing your memory and sincerely hope you enjoy your time at the school. You may tell Snape that you will be staying there over the break at both Christmas and Easter as I think it is the best option for you at the moment if you don't return home until the summer.

I hope we can continue communicating through letters as it is great to hear from you. Your father is busy as always and hopes you are well, as do I.

Best wishes,

Narcissa Malfoy

The letter was signed delicately with a clear flourish of the 'y' at the end of Malfoy, and Draco frowned at the contents of it, deeply disappointed that he wouldn't be seeing his mother over the break or even his father. The reasons why weren't any better.

What did she mean by "it would be the best option"? The best option for him would be to see his parents—not just communicate via one of them while he didn't even know what his own father looked like, would it not?

Draco sighed and neatly folded up the parchment, making sure not to crease the paper in any way to keep it in its pristine condition. He carefully opened up the envelope, the musky smell of it wafting up into his nose as he breathed in deeply, and he placed the paper in, sliding it in right first and then left before closing it and sticking it under his pillow.

Even if he couldn't see his mother, he would at least be able to hold a piece of her close to his heart.

Yawning, he took out the present he had gotten her on his 'first' Hogsmeade trip and placed it beside it, moving his pillow to the side before also taking out his homework that he had yet to catch up on.

Time to settle in for the break, Draco thought.

~*"*~

The Great Hall started to get increasingly decorated each day until finally, Christmas Day had arrived.

A large tree had been placed by that giant called Haggard or something and it was laced with these strings covered in what Draco learned was popcorn. He had been disheartened to see that neither Potter nor Hermione had stayed at the school for Christmas break, but he tried not to let it ruin his cheery holiday mood.