Chapter 22 - Healing

Darkness. Stillness. Quiet... That's all I could perceive...

Where am I now?

I'm still holding onto Risotto's coat...but I felt his warmth fading from under my palms. No...! I can't let it fade...! I need to hold on! I need to! I have to heal him! I have to...

...wait...

I can't feel it anymore... The warmth is completely gone now... please, don't do this to me... please...

All the darkness disappeared as my eyes shot open. A white ceiling. That's what I could see. I felt a presence next to me and looked to my right.

-Oh! You're awake! That's a relief, so your wounds weren't too severe after all

I saw a young boy, he couldn't be a day over the age of fifteen, maybe even younger. He had golden hair and emerald-green eyes. His expression was filled with warmth and kindness, it looked so much like Bruno's for a few moments.

-Who... are...

I tried speaking but I was weak and confused, yet the boy immediately caught up to the question I wanted to ask.

-Oh! My bad, sorry, I didn't even introduce myself. My name's Giorno Giovanna. I joined Passione and Bruno's team a few days ago. Bruno told me that you have worked with his team before, but I just joined the organization so it's not surprising that you don't know me yet

He smiled kindly. I tried sitting up on the bed I was laying on, but a lot of pain hit me all at once.

-Ugh!
-I'm sorry that you're feeling pain, my Stand ability is not specifically to heal... You might still feel the pain of your wounds for a while, but it'll fade soon.

He explained as he got up, and headed to the door.

-You should rest a bit more, I need to go back to Bucciarati to work out a plan
-W... wait...!

I stopped the boy named Giorno from leaving.

-Where... Where's Risotto??
-Risotto... Oh! You mean your partner! He's in the room across from this. Get some rest and don't leave!

He informed me with another warm smile and left the room.
I collected all of my strength and got out of the bed. I stumbled to the door and crawled along the wall to keep my balance until I reached the door across from my room. I opened it, and there I saw him. I bit my lower lip to fight back my tears. He was just there, laying unconscious. It was in that moment the realization hit me, of how vulnerable even he could be. He was sleeping completely still, all the wounds on his face and torso were gone without even leaving a single scar. His wounds were so much worse than mine... He must be in so much more pain...

I laid down next to him and began gently caressing his shoulder activating my Stand, trying to ease his pain. I took a few seconds to study his seemingly peaceful face, I don't think I ever saw him so...defenseless. His eyes too, were closed and unaware of the world surrounding him, when usually they were like that of a watchful hawk observing everything, his enemies and allies, his friends and foes, his surroundings and himself. His silver hair framed his face perfectly, although a little bit tangled because of the fight, it still shined like precious silk. I sighed quietly. Why must the most beautiful and innocent be the ones who fall pray to this sinful world, to this despicable life we lead... After a while, I decided to not bother his sleep any longer, and my heart couldn't bear another minute of seeing him in this state. I rolled on my side to get up from the bed but two firm arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me back down.

-Don't go...Stay...

Those simple words filled me with so much joy and relief.

-R-Risotto you're... you're awake...!

I still tried to fight back my tears, but they were really starting to threaten to spill any moment now. I lightly squeezed his hands which were hugging my waist so tightly yet so gently, as if to make sure this wasn't my imagination.

-Why...why did you let me...live?

He asked almost whispering, his voice trembling and his tone slowly fading into one filled with regret.

-You said it yourself... traitors are the worst kind of people... but I have... You know it, I have already betrayed you... why... did you come for me?

His arms were shaking so much. His voice was so full of regret. My tears were so close to start running down my cheeks, but I still held back. He was talking about the events of last night when he confessed to his "betrayal". He stayed quiet for a few seconds before continuing.

-... after how badly I treated you on my first day of knowing you... after I forced you to betray Passione without telling you...after almost risking your life...after all this... after all of this... why did you come for me? Why did you come to save me when you could've died? Why are you not killing me yet??

Regret and a bit of rage soaked his voice. I couldn't keep my emotions in anymore. Slowly, I released the tension in my face and let my tears roll down the side of my face.

-'Why?' Do you really think I could kill you? Do you really think I would let you die...? You... You can't die on me! You can't... Please... I don't want you to die... I'm just... I'm just so sick of people I care about dying... You kept me by your side, even with your task, you protected me, you kept me safe! You never did me wrong, you kept me from danger, always...how in the world...could I... how in the world could I kill you?!

I began whimpering. I still tried to hold back, but I just couldn't anymore. How could he think that I would be able to kill him with my own hands...After all we've been through. How could I even think about doing something like that?

As I kept crying harder and harder, Risotto turned me around and held me close to his chest. I felt his warmth...The warmth I was so afraid I had lost. I felt some water drops slide down the pillow and wet the side of my face. I moved my glance and looked up at him.

-Why are you crying?

I reached my hand up to his face and wiped away a tear. He looked as calm as ever, but in those red irises there was a feeling I couldn't quite comprehend, I just knew it was some kind of desperation. He held me closer, with even more tears sliding down his face.

-I'm glad that you're alive.

He hugged me tighter and I did the same. His warm arms completely enveloped me. The warmth of his body, his mild teardrops, his heartbeat, all the things that made him alive. I felt it all. One moment, this one silent moment was completely ours. Nothing but the shared happiness, of seeing each other alive. For the first time in so long, maybe ever, I felt so filled with warmth, so much joy. I felt like Risotto's arms were the place I belonged, the place I best fit in.

-Risotto...as long as I live... don't ever die on me. I'm going to stay by your side for as long as fate lets me

I told him after a while.

-Why, Y/N...why do you do all this for a monster like me?
-Risotto, it's because I...!
-Don't, I beg you, you can't, you absolutely can't...

He immediately stopped me from finishing my sentence.

-Y/N for you, I'd spend the rest of my life protecting you, I wouldn't let anything harm you, even at the cost of my life...
-Then why won't you let me...

He held me closer and caressed my hair, as if to make me fall asleep, without speaking any words for some time.

-You can't, Y/N. You can't. You deserve happiness...
-But Risotto...
-Rest a little longer. You need it.

He whispered silently. And so I closed my eyes, and I could tell he did the same. As we were still embracing each other tightly, we stayed still, falling into a short but calming slumber. I never thought embracing someone would be able to heal me more than my or any Stand.

💖A/N***
No one:
Absolutely no one:
Me: *finally manages to drop a new chapter after months of being ded*

I'm rewatching part 5 rn, so trust me when I say I'll post a new chapter before 2023, ok please don't crucify me I'll finish this story soon without long hiatuses I promise :'D

Hope you enjoyed this, and I hope you had an awesome Christmas you beautiful people! Arrivederci! 💕