Chapter 2: Strict Captain

Senki opened the doors to reveal what seems to be the endlessness of black space. She took a step into the hall, a sudden chill sweeping up her spine. The only comfort she got was her Kadabra standing at her side.

The bright light escaping from a nearby room piqued her interest. It was where the Captain's office was supposed to be.

Cowering behind her partner, she nudged her Kadabra to move forward first, to which it boldly obliged.

They sneaked up to the door, peeking inside. Sitting at the desk was the Captain. There were documents littered around the room, stacked up neatly on each other like tall skyscrapers. The Captain's head was buried deep inside the mountains of paperwork she had on hand.

Senki's breath hitched. Her heart couldn't help but ache for the hardworking Captain. She always appeared to have too much on her plate.

Senki turned around to make a silent exit. The Galaxy Hall was deadly quiet, and she doesn't wish to change that.

"What are you doing here late at night?"

Senki jerked her shoulders up in fright. She turned to meet eyes with the Captain, her sky-blue eyes gazing at her with much solemnity.

"Ah...well... I can't sleep and I saw light in here so I thought Kadabra and I could come and check it out..." Senki scratched her neck, bracing herself for a stern lecture.

"Is that so? Well then, since you've satisfied your curiosity now, you should go to sleep. It is important to have a good night's rest before your survey tomorrow at Crimson Mirelands." Cyllene lectured, her eyes not lifting up from the papers.

"Ahahahaha..." Senki was stumped for words, her fingers digging deeper into her nape. She could only gaze down at the black sandals on her feet.

Ever since she met the Captain, she could always sense a warm, maternal figure in her, though her face would say otherwise. Out of all the Pokemon she met so far, she figured that if the Captain is a Pokemon, she would be a Luxio, having the ability to intimidate anyone she met.

She felt compelled to say something. Compelled to convince the Captain to leave it to tomorrow. Even so, she was afraid of what the Captain might say in return.

While its trainer was in deep thought, the Abra sleeping in the corner caught Kadabra's eyes. It trotted towards its pre-evolved form, striking up a conversation.

Senki looked at Cyllene, though Cyllene's eyes were fixated on her documents. Senki walked over to Abra, reaching out her hand to pat the pokemon's head. It tilted its yellow snout upwards; its ears twitched cutely, melting her heart instantly.

She threw her arms around the Abra, which had drifted to sleep after a small talk with its evolution form.

She turned to Cyllene, catching a subtle smile on her face. It was small and soft, like the blossoming of small buds in the early spring, though it faded away in the blink of an eye, akin to the melting of snow in the late winter.

The smile sure tugged her heartstrings. The invisible barrier between them seems to have been blown away like a fallen leaf in the autumn wind.

She looked back at Abra. The Captain had a wonderful adventure with her Abra as a survey corps member before her promotion to a captain. Even so, it is indeed odd that Abra has not evolved yet.

She turned to Cyllene, whose attention was glued to her work.

"Mom! Where did you catch-" Her mouth gaped open in utter shock the moment she caught what had just slipped out of her mouth.

"What is it?" The Captain darted her eyes at her, though swiftly fixed her eyes again on her paper.

"I...ahahaha..." Senki laughed nervously. Either the slip-up completely went over the Captain's head, or she had just chosen to ignore it. She couldn't decide which is worse.

"Welp, I think I should go to sleep now!" Grabbing her Kadabra by the hand, she made a run for the exit, her cheeks a fiery red.