The Trail And The First Encounter

Chapter Three:

After bagging as many mushrooms as possible, Merry and Pippin felt like they had found gold! Mushrooms were a delicacy, or more just good to eat. Penny rolled her eyes at the two playfully. Sam was still a bit angry that they had taken a tumble down a hill thanks to Merry and Pippin being the geniuses they were. Frodo on the other hand seemed very on edge.

"I think we should get off the road," he said nervously. As he spoke, the leaves blew around the road as if something was approaching.

"Get off the road!" Frodo cried and dove to the side dragging Sam with him. Merry grabbed Pippin and hauled him to safety. Penny made it just in time as something on a tall black horse stopped just above them. Thank goodness there was this root thing here to hid all five hobbits. Frodo sank to the ground holding a golden ring inches from his fingertip. Sam leaned over Merry to grab his hand and prevent him from wearing it. The horse stomped impatiently above them which was followed by a thump. The rider had dismounted.

*Sniff sniff*

Merry and Pippin exchanged worried looks. Sam pushed a few bugs from his shoulder.

*Sniff sniff*

Merry made a rash decision and grabbed the bag of potatoes. He glared at Pippin who tried to take them back. Pulling them from Pippin's grasp, he tossed the bag off towards the side to distract the horseman. The rider screamed and ran after the potato sack. Taking the advantage they had, the five scrambled as fast as they could away from the black horse.

Frodo and Sam hid behind a tree with Penny and Merry crouched next to a bush with Pippin.

"What was that?!" Sam exclaimed.

"What is going on?" Pippin asked very confused.

"That rider was looking for something, Frodo?" Merry asked.

"Sam and I must get to Bree," Frodo said. Merry nodded.

"Buckleberry Ferry, follow me!" Merry, Pippin, Sam, and Penny ran. Frodo tried to keep up with them but was intercepted by the black horseman. He screamed drawing the attention of the others.

"Frodo! Run!" Penny called out as she and the other three boarded the ferry and cast off. Frodo ran as fast as he could down the path towards the dock.

"Frodo!" Sam yelled.

Frodo made a mad jump from the dock to the ferry narrowly making it on and evading the rider. It screamed in defeat and rejoined two others and galloping away. Frodo was breathing hard and shaking.

"How far to the newest crossing?" Sam asked Merry.

"Brandywine Bridge, twenty miles," Merry said.

He grabbed a pole and began rowing down the river.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twenty miles later, they had landed in the small town of Bree and getting pelted by rain. Pulling their cloaks tight around themselves, Frodo bravely knocked on the city gate. A man opened a small hatch and stared at them.

"Hobbits! Five hobbits, what business do you have out here so late?" He croaked.

"We wish to stay at the inn. Our business is our own," Frodo told him.

"Alright young master, I meant no offense. There's talk of strange folk about. Can't be too careful." The gatekeeper opened the gate allowing them to enter. Frodo looked around and lead to the Prancing Pony Inn. Upon entering, they were immediately blessed with warmth and the smell good food. Frodo stepped up to the counter.

"Excuse me," he said.

A tall and burly man leaned over and looked at them.

"Small folk! I've got nice, comfy rooms just your size and for a nice price," he said.

Frodo nods and then asks him, "Can you tell Gandalf we've arrived?"

"Gandalf...big, grey beard and pointy hat? Not seen him for six months."

"Thank you," Frodo said dejectedly and led them to a table webers they ordered drinks. Merry sat down holding an exceptionally large drink.

"What's that?" Pippin asked.

"This my friend, is a pint."

"It comes in pints? I'm getting one!" He said and rushed off to get one.

"You've had a whole-half already!" Sam called but to no avail. Pippin drifted to the bar and was soon talking to other men.

"That man has done nothing but stare at us since we arrived," Sam whispered to Frodo. Frodo looked up at at he man; his face shadowed by a black cloak.

"Excuse me, who is that man?" Frodo asked the bartender.

"He's one of them ranger folk, but 'round here he's known as Strider."

"Strider," Penny mumbled quietly. She was about to continue, but was interrupted by the sound of Pippin's voice. He was drunk.

"Baggins? Sure I know a Baggins! Over there, Frodo Baggins. Once removed on his mothers' side!" Pippin chattered away.

Frodo jumped up and rushed forward. As he went to stop Pippin from slipping anything else, he tripped over someone's boot and fell. Before he hit the ground, the ring fell out of his grasp and Frodo held up his finger. The ring slipped on and he vanished.

Pippin blinked in shock. Had that just happened? The pub didn't seemed to upset with the fact that someone had just disappeared before their eyes.

The man known as Strider got up and made for Frodo before anyone could do anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: August 2nd, 2013 update! I rewrote this entire chapter...*wipes forehead* Hope you liked it!