For The First Time

Chapter Eleven:

The shock of losing Gandalf hit home for everyone.

Gimli and Legolas stared off into the distance. Aragorn sat alone, lost in deep thought. Boromir was pacing. Merry and Sam sat on the ground crying. Frodo lay next to them, to numb with shock to cry.

Pippin sat on a rock and watched the clouds pass over head. Penny walked over to him. She stood in front of him, reached out and touched his shoulder. He stood up so they were about nose to nose. Green eyes met brown eyes and Pippin began to cry. Penny reached out and embraced him.

They stood there for how long, holding each other and crying.

"Don't cry, Pippin, it will be ok," Penny whispered in his ear.

"But Gandalf is gone Penny, gone..." was all Pippin could get out shakily.

Penny sighed and stroked his curls gently.

"Stay strong, at least for me?" she said softly.

"Yes, I will always," he said back to her.

She smiled and pulled away from his arms.

"Come now, Pippin, it looks like we will be going soon."

Taking his hand, Penny led him back to the others who were packing up. They had a long journey ahead if them, and if Pippin were to be strong for all of it, he would need some food first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The path was silent as the Fellowship walked on to through the woods.

"This is the first time going anywhere without Gandalf as the leader," a shaken Sam said to no one in particular.

"Sometimes the end means a new beginning," said Frodo.

And they lapsed back into silence.

For a while, the rain poured on them. It seemed as if the skies were crying for Gandalf.

Pippin would've given anything to be safe and dry at home, but with Penny walking right next to him, he pushed on.

When the downpour let up, they all stopped to have a small lunch. It consisted of an apple each and a few cold, (but still eatable), roots.

With semi-full stomachs, they pressed onward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: 3K READS THANKS Y'ALL<3