eighteen ^^

Niall's Point of View

"C-Clara," I stuttered. At this time of the night, she called. She called me. She called. I heard her sniff from the line. I miss her. I miss her smiling face, her tender yet cunning persona, the way she doesn't care about wearing make-up, her imperfect non-bikini body, her laziness, her. I miss my best friend, "w-why did y-you call?"

"I-uh," then silence fell upon us. For a good three minutes. The atmosphere was a mix of awkwardness yet comfort. I kept my crisscrossed position, listening to her soft breathing. Why did Liam have to lie to us saying he was visiting a friend? Nevermind. He obviously would know what I would've done.

"It's cold out tonight." I breathe, looking out at my view. I was sitting on the balcony, back leaning on the cold metal railing, crisp, soft gushes of wind blowing from behind me.

"H-how did you know I was-"

"I just know," I reply with a shrug. She sighs, and sniffs one more time. I heard her exhale loud enough for me to hear, knowing she wanted it to be inaudible. She was crying.

"Clara, you don't have to cry," I say quietly.

"How can I not," she trembles, sniffing once more, "I am such a fuck-up." What did I do to this girl that I call my best friend? This is all my fault, all because I was an arrogant bastard.

"Don't say that," I retort softly and prop myself up and stand up straight, "it was my fault all along. I should've been more... mindful."

"You're not the only one, Niall," she says quietly, and sniff once more. A pause arose between us, before I break it.

"You're sick."

"I am not."

"Yes, you are."

"How would you know?"

"Please, I've had seventeen years of experience. Detecting your vague symptoms is like snapping fingers." She softly hums a laugh, making me slightly smile, "I miss you, Clara."

"... I miss you too, Niall."

"Then why did you push me away from you this morning?"

"I-I wasn't thinking straight," She trembles quietly and silently exhales, "I thought my life was perfect then-"

"But perfect doesn't exist," I interrupt impatiently.

"Please let me finish, Niall," she hushed me quietly but slightly harsh at the same time, making an ache arose from my heart. Why did she have this effect on me now?

"I'm sorry," I mumble, "go on."

"I thought my life was perfect then. A normal routine of going to twelve hour flight attendant training. At spare times, I would hang out with friends, have coffee, watch a movie, jam along, or even read books and such to each other. Sounds crazy, but my life sounds like a perfect one. Sounds like it. I thought my life was perfect then."

I silently listen to her, both my hands clutching on my phone that was pressed to my ear. Her life sounded like the one we promised each other to live with together. A simple, perfect life with no bothersome fucks and faults in between us. We breathed silently for a minute.

"Want to go for lunch tomorrow?" I ask, out of the blue. What the fuck Niall you stupid dipshit you guys just talked and you think it's okay now, my inner thoughts fought with me, this isn't 2007.

"What?" She asks softly in a surprised tone. Well shit I should've listened to my thoughts. But no, I won't. I promised I would get her back.

"Do you want to go for lunch tomorrow?" I repeat, slower this time for her to hear.

"I know what you said," she said, "but do you really want to go for lunch with me after all that we've been through today?"

"I can't have a lunch date with my best friend?"

"You can't paste that title on me like stat after five years of your obliteration, Niall," she breathes. My heart tightens as the words hit me. Is she really not my best friend... and am I not hers... anymore?

"...What can I do to earn the title back?"

"I don't know the exact steps Niall," she sniffs quietly, "nobody knows. The world keeps it a hidden message. Experiment a bit. Do what you think would earn it back... what you think is right. That way, fate would decide." I quietly listen to her beautiful words flow through my phone and tried to process every single one of it.

"...Is that a yes or a no?" She laughs louder than before, which made me laugh. I could visualize her lips tugging into a small grin, making me smile even more. She's laughing.

"It wouldn't hurt to see the boy that I know for seventeen years for lunch tomorrow," she says in a calm cheerful tone, "only in one condition." I tense up.

"This is not a date."

-(a.n.)- i'm hoping to update again after reading a fanfiction that i am currently obsessing over. if you guys liked it, woohoo yay!

a vote and comment is much appreciated, my sugar cubes!

with love,

tea :)