CH5 - The Flea and the Acrobat [PT1]

When we arrived, I noticed an extra car was there. I looked over to Jonathan and asked him, "Do you know whose car that is?"

He sighed, "Yeah. It's Lonnie's car." He said as he parked the car. We both got out and headed inside. We saw Mom sitting next to Lonnie on the couch.

"Hey, kids." He greeted us.

"What's going on?" Jonathan asked them.

Mom answered, "Your dad's, uh, gonna stay here tonight. On-on the couch." She stammered.

"Yeah, I'm here as long as you kids need me, okay?" He told us.

I scoffed at him. "Name the last time you were there for me, Lonnie." I told him. I stood there, waiting for a response, and nothing. I scoffed again as walked to my room and plopped onto my bed. I looked over to my closet and remembered Will's funeral is tomorrow. I sighed getting up and walking over to get a black dress with a black coat, with some regular shoes. I got it and sat them on my dresser for tomorrow. I changed into some sleeping clothes to try to get a good sleep tonight. As I laid down, I grabbed my walkman and played 'Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy'.

> FRIDAY.   NOVEMBER  11th <

"I woke up an hour early before we had to leave. So I got ready, and got dressed. As I walked out of my room, I saw Jonathan struggling to do his tie. I chuckled as he looked over at me and back to the mirror. I made my way over to him and told him, "Here, let me." He dropped his hands from the tie and I started to tie it.

"How do you know how to do this?" He asked me.

"Will wanted someone to teach him how to tie a tie, the correct way. So, I learned it for him and taught him." I said with a smile, while straightening up the now tied tie. "There you go." I told him we both walked into the living room with Mom and Lonnie ready to leave.

As we finished the inside part of the funeral, we all headed outside to do the final part. We all sat at the front, with the others standing behind us. "I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.." I sat there, fiddling with my bracelet for the remainder of the funeral. As all of it ended, and everyone started to leave, Jonathan, Nancy, and I stayed behind and conversed with each other about what we were going to do.

"This is where we know for sure it's been, right?" Jonathan asked.

"So that's.." I asked while pointing to an 'X' on the map.

"Steve's house." Jonathan replied. "And that's the woods where they found Will's bike." He said pointing to another 'X'. "And that's our house."

"It's all so close." Nancy stated.

"Yeah. Exactly." Jonathan said. "I mean, it's all within a mile or something. Whatever this thing is, it's.. it's not traveling far." He said looking up at us.

"You want to go out there." Nancy accused.

"We might not find anything." He defended.

"I found something." She said, "And if we do see it.. then what?" She asked him.

"We kill it." Randomly, an idea popped into my head.

"I know where something is that could maybe help us." I said to them as I led them to the car. I reached into my hair for a bobby pin and started to unlock the dash inside the car.

"What are you doing?" Nancy asked me.

"Hold on, give me a second." I told her as I kept picking, locking it. Finally it opened and I reached in to grab a pistol and some ammo.