Kinda Low to Attack Normal People

With everything that's been happening, we all ended up leaving the agency building, almost everyone going to Fukuzawa's old base from before he founded the agency while I accompanied Naomi and Haruno in a cabin in the woods.

Currently, I sat in front of my laptop, candy corn in hand as the image of where everyone else was stationed was on my computer. Since I couldn't be with them in person, I was on a video call attending the briefing.

"Listen up, everyone. The Port Mafia seeks to eradicate the agency. The Guild seeks to usurp the agency. We must do all we can to protect ourselves from both of these foes. Dazai, Emi, please continue."

"You got it," we replied in unison.

"The Guild has substantial financial assets.," Dazai started.

"While the Port Mafia have the numbers."

"So, We'll split into defensive and offensive teams."

"And engage them in guerilla warfare."

"The primary goal for the defensive team is to make sure Dr. Yosano is protected. As long as we don't die outright her healing ability can cure our injuries."

"While the offensive team will split into two sections and surprise the enemy using Tanizaki's illusion ability and Dazai's nullification ability. While I am the Joker over here with Naomi and Haruno so I can act as bodyguard and hacker."

"The crux of the strategy is to keep our base of operations hidden. If our enemies hit us here with everything they have, our defense will never hold," he finished.

"Of the three organizations, only one of us can survive. Our only option left is to fight! The three-way war, a war of the gifted," Fukuzawa concluded.

I exited the private call, stood up, and stretched.

"It sounds like you guys are gonna have a tough time with all of this," Naomi commented with concern lacing her tone.

"Yeah, are you really sure you want to stay here and be our bodyguard?" Haruno asked with the same worried tone.

I gave them a reassuring smile. "I'm the one that came up with this role, so it's fine. Besides, it's two birds with one stone. I can make sure you two are safe while I work on hacking into their networks."

"Right," they both responded without worry.

~~

"Okay... How about... this?" I entered the next code on my list and got access. "FINALLY!!" I exclaimed with a grin. "Now, let's get all your darkest secrets," I chuckled. I went through the list of people, getting more detailed descriptions of their abilities and even getting two of the three I couldn't find out before. John Steinbeck: The Grapes of Wrath, he could grow grapevines to find and capture his enemies, works best in forested areas. Francis Fitzgerald: The Great Fitzgerald, could transform his assets into physical strength. A lot like mine. And H.P. Lovecraft: Great Old Ones. There was nothing else about his ability, and the name doesn't give anything away. Along with that information, I got more detailed descriptions of everyone else's powers. Lastly, I found one person who I hadn't heard about yet. "Edgar Allan Poe... Black Cat in the Rue Morgue... can teleport those who reads his books into them- Ah!" I stared at the screen with disbelief and sadness. "I got kicked... I guess it's break time," I sighed, standing up with some painful but satisfying pops. I went to the main room and found Naomi and Haruno on their laptop looking at a news article.

"What caused the explosion?" Naomi questioned.

"I'd make a bet that it was that one guy who loves explosions," Haruno replied.

"Right on the money with lemon-loving Kaijii," I confirmed, spooking both of them as I crouched down.

"I wonder if they'll come after the agency..." Haruno trailed off.

"I hope my brother is safe..." Naomi followed.

"It'll be alright," I said with a gentle smile as I wrapped my arms around their shoulders. "We'll fend them off, and both of our brothers are strong. No one will go down without a fight." Despite my words and attitude, I was worried. About Doppo, Dazai, Kyoka, just everyone. I'd never admit it, but I can get as protective as Doppo at times.

"Yeah, well, at least we know your cat's okay, Haruno," Naomi teased with a sly smirk.

"Please forget about that," she sweatdropped.

"Fine, but~" she turned back to me, "our little Emi is actually worried."

"This is the biggest conflict we've been in. And I never said that I wasn't worried. It's just as natural as you worrying about Junichiro." Though, I don't do half the stuff they do.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. Oh, did you get into their system?"

"For a few minutes, yeah. I managed to get a little more info on them. I'll send that info to everyone else then try to get in again." I got up and went back to my little computer room to send everyone the info I got. After that, I got right back to breaking into their system again.

Twenty minutes went by before I was knocked over. I looked at the floor next to me to see Amai the hummingbird laying there out of breath. "Hey, bud, what's up?"

"THE ENEMY IS CLOSE!!" he shouted, flitting back up into the air. "THE BLONDE ONE AND THE CREEPY MAN ARE COMING!!" Then he flew out like a bat out of hell.

"Shit. Haruno! Naomi! It's time to get a move on!!" I shouted as I took my memory card out of my laptop before running to where they were. "Steinbeck and Lovecraft are on their way."

Without much hesitation, we all left, running down the stairs and piling into the car. Then I got a call from Fukuzawa. "Hey, Sir, we're on our way out now," I said as Haruno started driving. "I got alerted just a second ago. We'll see you all at the base." With that, I hung up, not really giving him a chance to speak at all.

As we sped down the road, I strained my ears to listen to the birds and other creatures, tuning what Naomi and Haruno were saying out in the process.

"They're at the house..." "Creepy hoomans." "He stabbed his neck..." "Their heads would get ripped off with his power..." "The vines are coming..."

"Uh, Haruno, you might wanna floorit," I said with a bit of alarm.

"He found them..." "The vines..." "The vines..." "The vines..."

"Shit..." I muttered as I unbuckled my seatbelt and rolled down the window. "You guys keep going, I'll hold them off."

"Emi-"

"No buts!" I cut Haruno off. "Just keep going and roll the window back up after I leave. I'm not gonna let them hurt you guys."

Haruno gave me another concerned glance while Naomi gave me a firm nod.

I returned it before flying out the window in my peregrine falcon form. As I flew over the trees, I kept a sharp eye and ear out for where they could be. Then, out of the trees, a bundle of vines shot straight for me. I dove and dodged them right before I spotted the duo. As I got closer, more and more vines tried capturing me. When it grew too dense, I changed into a hummingbird. Finally, I broke through the dense mass of vines and there stood the two behind this mess.

~Just a note here to tell you all about how one of my classmates called  "The Grapes of Wrath" "The Wrath of Grapes" and I have to think before I write it down now :)