23: The City

The next morning..
They had decided to stay just one more night at the cave. Raven stretched, the warm early-morning sunlight hit her back.
She glanced around, and her eyes fell on Melody. The golden-brown she-wolf looked peaceful in her sleep. Hopefully whatever was bothering her wasn't anymore.
"Good morning, Raven." Twilight said politely.
"Good morning!" Raven replied.
Suddenly Melody's eyes flew open. She let out a loud yawn before jumping to her feet.
"Sunlight!" She cried loudly.

Strangely, Raven felt jealous, "Who is Sunlight?" She thought to herself.

Midnight opened his eyes, "You just yelled loud enough to wake me up! You could probably wake up the entire Fantasy!" He snapped.
"Oh sorry.." Melody mumbled, her eyes dropping to the ground, "I just saw my sister in a dream-"
"The sun's light." Midnight responded grumpily.
"Oh relax, you heap of fur. Can't you see that she's worried and it's making her like this?" Raven growled at Midnight.
"Uhm, yeah. I'm really worried.." Melody mumbled, letting her gaze drift to her paws.
Melody got up and walked over to Raven. She noticed how gracefully Melody walked. The sunlight shone on her golden fur, adding to the sheen on her coat. Raven felt something prick at her paws.
"Why am I like this?" Raven thought, "Am I getting sick?"
Feeling awkward around Melody, Raven walked over to the bundle of prey wrapped up in plant leaves to preserve the food. She picked it up gently, and placed it in front of the others.
"Whatever." Midnight rolled his eyes.
She ignored Midnight's retort and suggested, "We should each have a piece of prey before we go."
Melody smiled at Raven, "That sounds good!" She replied, taking a rabbit.
Raven noticed that she sat away from Midnight in a corner near the entrance. At least Melody wasn't upset anymore.
She plopped down next to Melody, with a squirrel for herself. Raven's tail brushed over Melody's. Raven quickly swished it off. Melody blinked at her, humor in her eyes.
From the other side of the cave, Twilight shared a bird with Blizter. They looked happy together. Love is a hard game to play. One small slip could mess everything.
Raven never let herself fall into it, but that didn't mean that she couldn't admire her friend.
Melody looked as though she was about to invite Midnight over to their spot. Then she stopped herself, and muttered something to herself.
Midnight paced back and forth at the back of the cave. A part of Raven also wanted him to come, but a different part thought, "He did this to himself! He snapped at Melody, now the bag of fur will have to pay the consequences."
Melody looked worried. Raven realized with a jolt that today they would be doing what they came here to do. They would defeat the Dragon King.
Raven lost her appetite. Pushing away the remains of the squirrel outside for some other predator, she walked over to the entrance.
"Are we going or not? This is the day that we finally do what we came here to do." Her voice shook at the end. Raven shook her head, preventing the memory of Lichen's limp body after her other battle with a dragon.
Twilight looked up. "Yes. We are going. At least I'm ready to leave." She glanced at Blizter.
"Blizter? Are you alright?" Melody asked.
No response came.
"Since I know where it is, I'll lead the way." Melody said, rising to her paws.
"Alright." Blizter said at last.
Raven picked up the rest of the food before striding alongside Melody.
Midnight stayed in the back. Blizter walked besides Twilight.

"Twilight and Blizter look so happy to be together, and I can't be with Melody...." Midnight's thought trailed off.

As the time passed, Raven's legs were growing tired still. Trees, trees, and more trees were all she could see.
It was growing late. They would have to find shelter soon.
Then someone shouted, "I see it! I see the city!"
Suddenly, everyone had enough energy to bolt up to the city walls. Raven gazed up at the towering stone walls. Each pale gray brick was stacked on top of each other. Inside, she could see red buildings, and could hear dragons talking in a strange language of growls, hisses, and roars.
"How will we get inside?" Someone asked gruffly, beating Raven to the question.
Instead she asked, "And how will we not be eaten while we're at it? "