Chapter 2

Stephens POV
I was just getting home from a long day at the hospital when I got a call as I was driving. I ignored it. But when I got home I found a message from the same number

"Hello Dr. Strange. I'm calling concerning your child Lilian Alima Michels. Talia Michels has been killed in a head on collision car crash, and in her will, you were the one she said was the child's father. We are bringing her to you in a days time,"

What? WHAT? Talia who was that? Oh the girl who enjoyed fashion design. I called the Talia's law firm back

Receptionist: Johnson & Houston how may I help you?
Strange: Yes I need to talk to Olivia Holt I am the biological father of Talia Michels daughter Lilian Michels
Receptionist: of course I'll patch you through
Olivia: Olivia Holt. How can I help you
Strange: Olivia I do not take ownership of the child
Olivia: Ah Mr.-
Strange: It's Doctor
Olivia: -Doctor Strange. I'm afraid you have no choice in this matter. As Talia put on her will that if anything was to happen to her. Little Lilian would go to her biological father. And I quote "Wether that asshole likes it or not"
Strange: Arg. Fine! When do I get her?
Olivia: Tomorrow
Strange: Okay thanks

I hung up angry. Why do I have to deal with a child! I have my career in front of me. I didn't even want this child? I grabbed a bottle of wine and a glass. And brought it to my living room. I flipped on a the news where I was having an interview with Christine that was airing tonight. I smiled proudly at myself as I talked. Man I'm on fire! No lives lost on my table yet! I poured myself another glass of wine and downed it before the interview was over. I finally went to bed at around midnight after reviewing some patient files and deciding which ones I would do and which ones didn't deserve my handiwork. I was tossing and turning till one though.

The next morning I was dresses and ready to go to the hospital but nursing a major hangover. When a knock at my door caught my attention. I opened the door to see a young women holding the hand of a young girl who I estimated to be around 9 or 10 years old. The girl was clutching a stuffed wolf like her life depended on it.

"Doctor Strange?" I nodded "This is Lilian Strange your daughter," I looked over her swiftly. Looks healthy. I took the young girls hand which was trembling slightly. I squeezed it softly trying to reassure her but mostly failing. "Come in," I motioned her in. "You're Olivia, correct?" She nodded.

She pulled out a pile of paperwork from Lilian's suitcase. "Please sign here, here, here, and here," she pointed to each line. I signed them each where she had indicated. "Everything she needs is in that case. But she will need furniture," I nodded "That won't be a problem," I had set Lilian down on the couch next to me.

I was still unsure how she was going to fit into my life. We finished up all the paperwork then I looked down at my watch. Oh my I had a surgery scheduled to start 15 minutes ago. Olivia noticed my eyes slightly widening. "I'm sorry but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. I need to get to work. And yes I'll be taking Lilian with me to the hospital," she nodded in understanding.

I lifted Lilian onto my hip and grabbed her car seat. And struggled with strapping the car seat into my Lamborghini. I finally got it and put her into it and got on the road. I got a call from Christine.

Christine: Where are you Stephen?
Stephen: I had a delay I'll explain when I get there
Christine : *Sigh* Okay Stephen. Be safe.
Stephen: Of course. I love you.I'll be there in a minute
Christine: i love you to Stephen.

I hung up. And started reviewing patient files as I drove. When we got to the hospital I looked back and found Lilian curled up. Well curled up as best she could buckled in her car seat. And she had fallen asleep. I unbuckle her and gently lifted her into my arms.

I was starting to find that I wanted to protect her from this world. This innocent child who had suffered a debilitating loss.

I walked into the hospital and was met by Christine. When she saw the child in my arms she looked shocked but took her from me. "Get into the surgery room!" I nodded "Yes ma'am. Take care of her. Her names Lilian," she nodded "Your explaining this whole thing later," I nodded. And rushed to get cleaned up and into surgery.