Chapter 5

Lily's POV
[DREAM]
I was in a temple watching some people I didn't know walk through what looked like a library in a ancient temple. The man caught the man's attention. The that was putting books away. Two of his disciples restrained the man. Then the yellow robes man relieved the other man of his head. It hit the bottom of the bucket with a thud. The yellow robed man started tearing pages out of a book. "Master Kaecilius. That ritual will bring you only sorrow," he looked up at a hooded women. Then he ran through a portal his disciple had made. The hooded women followed him. "Hypocrite!" He roared at her. They started fighting with discs that they conjured from nothing but air. Eventually Kaecilius escaped and the women flipped her hood back to revel she was bald. And walked through a ring of sparks.
[END OF DREAM]

I woke up with a jolt. What the frick was that? I thought as I stretched and got up. I waved it off as my brain making things up, and decided not to bother my Dad with it.

Anyway I'm 14 now and am in 9th grade. I skipped a grade. Because I inherited a photographic memory from my Dad.

I went downstairs to find Dad making breakfast "Good morning Dad," he looked up acknowledging me "Good morning Lily," he handed me a plate of scrambled eggs and bacon. "Thanks," I got a glass of milk and a fork.

After I ate I got ready for school, and packed my school bag. Dad dropped me off. Since I normally was done with my classes by noon. I had decided to ask dad to come pick me up. So he took me with him to the hospital. I was drawing, when Christine came to him. And I might've eavesdropped a little bit "What is that?" Christine handed him a tablet with the patients scan on it "GSW," Dad nodded "It's amazing you kept him alive. Apneic, further brain stem testing after reflex test... I think I found the problem, Dr. Palmer. You left a bullet in his head," he said sarcastically. She sighed "Thanks. It's impinging on the medulla. I needed a specialist to diagnose brain death. Something about that doesn't feel right to me,"Dad looked up at her. "We have to run,"

They ran down the hall and I followed. They caught up to a doctor pushing a patient on a gunnery. I think his name is Nick West. "Dr. West! What are you doing? Hey!," I heard Christine say. "Organ harvesting. He's a donor," West responded "Slow down. I did not agree to that," he looked back unblinking. "I don't need you to. We've already called brain death," Dad decided to butt in "Prematurely. We need to get him prepped for a suboccipital craniotomy," West shook his head "I'm not going to let you operate on a dead man," Dad held up the pad with the patients brain scan. "What do you see?"West looked at it "A bullet?"

"A perfect bullet. It's been hardened. You harden a bullet by alloying lead with antimony. A toxic metal. And it's leaking directly into the cerebral spinal fluid," It dawned on west "Rapid-onset central nervous system shutdown," Christine looked at both of the men "We need to go," Dad looked at West again. "The patient's not dead, but he's dying. Do you still want to harvest his organs?" He said snark-ily "I'll assist you," He started wheeling the patient to an operating room. "No! Dr. Palmer will assist me," I didn't follow then into the operating room. I had decided to wait for them to come out.

He came out of surgery a few hours later "Hey there Lily," I miss when he called me Lil. I sighed "Hey Dad," I walked with them down the hall.

Christine started talking to Dad "You know, you didn't have to humiliate him in front of everyone," Dad didn't even have the grace to look a tiny bit guilty "I didn't have to save his patient either. But, you know, sometimes I just can't help myself," she sighed. "Nick is a great doctor.," Dad looked at her again "You came to me," she scoffed "Yeah, well, I needed a second opinion," I shook my head at Dad's next statement "You had a second opinion. What you needed was a competent one," me and Christine shared a look. "No wonder she ditched you," I mumbled.

But Dad heard me, and glared at me. Christine broke the uncomfortable silence "Well, all the more reason you should be my neurosurgeon on call. You could make such a difference," I butted in "Yay Dad. You should," he glared at me "Don't start young lady. And I can't work in your butcher shop,"

"Hey! Look, he...," Dad interrupted her "Look, I'm fusing transected spinal cords. I'm stimulating neurogenesis in the central nervous system. The work I'm doing is gonna save thousands for years to come. In ER, you get to save one drunk idiot with a gun," She shook her head at him "Yeah, you're right. In the ER, you're only saving lives. There's no fame, there's no CNN interviews... Well, I guess I'll have to stick with Nick," Dad stopped in his tracks. "Wait a minute. You're not...you guys aren't...," she looked at him "What?" He looked away before continuing "Sleeping together. Sorry, I thought that was implicit in my disgust,"

Christine shook her head "Explicit, actually. And no, I have a very strict rule against dating colleagues," Dad raised an eyebrow "Oh really?" She nodded "I call it the Strange policy," she smiled coyly at me. I laughed. Dad glared at me again "Oh, good! I'm glad something is named after me. You know, I invented a laminectomy procedure, and yet, somehow, no one seems to want to call it the Strange technique,"Christine again glared at him "We invented that technique,"

Dad couldn't help but try again "You know, I gotta say, I'm very flattered by your policy. Look, I'm talking tonight at a Neurological Society dinner. Come with me," she shook her head with a small chuckle "Another speaking engagement? So romantic," he looked like a lost puppy "You used to love going to those things with me. We had fun together," she shook her head "No. You had fun. They weren't about us, they were about you,"

"Not only about me," she looked at him "Stephen. Everything is about you," he sighed "She's not wrong Dad. You've even pushed me away in recent years," he sighed completely ignoring me and focusing on Christine "Maybe we can hyphenate. Strange-Palmer technique," she tarted walking away but looked back over her shoulder "Palmer-Strange," I laughed and gave her a thumbs up. Not that she saw it.

We got ready in for the speaking engagement. I was in a simple black dress and heels. I had already done my hair and makeup and was waiting for Dad to pick a watch. He motioned me towards him. "Which one?" He asked holding you two watches. I noticed one was the one that Christine gave him. I pointed to that one not even bothering to look at the other. He nodded and flipped it over, taking a moment to gaze with longing at the transcription on the back.

On the car ride Dad was reviewing patient cases." Billy! What have you got for me?"Dad waved past two cases that I wish he would've helped with but I didn't say anything because I know Dad "How about a 22-year-old female with an electronic implant in her brain to control schizophrenia struck by lightning?" He looked interested in that. "That does sound interesting. Could you send me the..." he's cut off by his phone beeping "got it. Hey," A car came toward us. Dad swerved and sent us flying off the road, over the side of the mountain. I blacked out before we impacted.