Chapter 6

Lily's POV
I woke up in a hospital bed. I looked over and saw Christine with my Dad.? I heard her tell my Dad "It's okay. It's going to be okay," Dad was looking at hi suspended hands. "What did they do?" Always worried about yourself and your stupid career. I though as I looked at myself and saw my right arm, and left leg suspended. As well as my chest wrapped in bandages. "They rushed you in a chopper. But it took a little while to find you. Golden hours for nerve damage went by while you were in the car," Dad was slightly panicking. "What did they do?!?" He almost yelled. Christine sighed.

"11 stainless steel pins in the bones. Multiple torn ligaments. Severe nerve damage in both hands. You were on the table for 11 hours," she looked over at me. "What happened," I asked in a hushed tone. No where near as upset as Dad. "You have a practically shattered left femur. You have two breaks in your right arm and multiple broken, cracked , and bruised ribs,"

"Thanks for telling me. And sorry about Dad being a asshole," she laughed softly "Language young lady. But it's all right. I know you fathers insufferable ego," I laughed at that, but instantly regretted it when I felt zings of pain all throughout my chest. "Yay I wouldn't laugh for a bit girl," she chided gently. "Look at these fixtures," Dad was still focused on his hands. "No one could have done better," Christine tries to comfort him. "I could have done better," he whispered. "No. No.,"

5 months later
We were laying besides each other on different beds of course. Christine had been staying with us. Helping with every day tasks that we were still struggling with. "Give your body time to heal," a doctor said to my Dad. "You ruined me. How long until I'm...," he was looking at his hands again. "Doctor Strange... those tissues are still healing," he tried offering his advice "So speed it up. Pass the stent under the brachial artery under the radial artery,"

"It's possible. Experimental and expensive, but possible," Dad perked up at that. "All I need is possible," the doctor turned to me. "Lily we need you to stay as still as possible till your bones heal," I nodded "of course," I looked at my Dad who even after 5 months hasn't been worried about me one bit. "Are you seriously this destroyed by losing your hands that you don't even check on your own daughter?" I confronted his without looking at him. I never got a response from him. Why am I not surprised. I mused to myself.

He went to his therapy session and he left me alone I FaceTimed Christine. She has always been a mother figure to me since I've been with my Dad. She answered "Hey Lil," I smiled "Hi Chrissy. You mind if a rant to you a little tiny bit?" She laughed "Of course-" I opened my mouth to start. "But let me guess who it is about," I nodded closing my mouth "Okay," she looked over her shoulder "Your Dad," I nodded and she sighed.

"He just seems.... So unworried for me. I know he has been distant lately but I didn't know he would be like this. He barely acknowledges me anymore," i had started to tear up. I loved my Dad even when he was an utter butt. "Lily your Dad loves you. He.... Just right now he's more focused on sometching else. And when he's focused on something that's all he see. It's like he has tunnel vision sometimes," I smiled feeling a bit better "Thanks Chrissy," she nodded "Anytime Lil," I ended the call and scrolled through the news. With one arm using the TV remote of course. I read headlines like AVENGERS UNASSEMBLED?, WHAT ARE THE SOKOVIA ACCORDS, CAPTAIN AMERICA WANTED CRIMINAL!

When Dad got back he didn't even acknowledge me. Again? no surprise there.

Later he was on a video call with a doctor while trying to write with his trembling hands. "I looked at all your research. I read all the papers you've sent, but... none will work. I... I don't think you realize how severe the damage is, I...," Dad cut him off "Look, here's the thing, I...," the other person returned the favor "At best, I'd try and fail. Look, I understand. Here's the thing. I... What you want from me is impossible, Stephen," Dad was getting more frustrated by the minute. "Come on...," I imagined the other doctor shaking his head. "I've got my own reputation to consider," Dad was almost at breaking point. But he tried one last plea. "Etienne, wait," he cut off the call after he said "I can't help you...,"