Junior Year Continued

That night I was in my room, when I saw on my iPhone that I had a notification from Facebook.

It was a friend request- from Gabby Lee.

I stared at my phone for a moment, unsure if it was real.

But it was real. Her profile picture was of her in her basketball uniform, with another teammate.

But I was looking at her, and only her.

I accepted the friend request. And then I started to panic slightly.

Could this be the start of something? Am I even ready for this? I have no idea if-

My train of thought was cut off by an aggressive knock at my door.

"Come in." I said, putting my phone down.

Peyton walked in, in a hoodie and sweatpants. She was starting to show, and I knew it was making her uncomfortable.

She closed the door immediately, and sat on my bed.

"What's up?" I asked her.

She looked at me. "I heard you got in a fight today with Erica Moore and Christina Rigario."

"Oh. Yes. Well...I didn't like what they were saying about you."

Peyton looked down. "Erica used to have a thing with Sean. It makes sense they were talking shit."

"Well...I didn't appreciate it." I said. "Are you mad at me?"

Peyton looked at me, confused. "No, of course I'm not mad at you. I think you're kind of brave, actually, for taking them on." Peyton then sighed and said, "Though I'm sure what they were saying is what everyone says. That I'm a slut."

"You're not a slut." I said to my sister.

"I definitely feel like one." Peyton said, and then she looked at me, "I heard Gabby Lee pulled Christina and Erica off you. She's on the basketball team, I don't know her very well. I know she's gay though."

So she is into girls. I thought so.

I then asked a question to Peyton that I had to be very careful about. "Does it bother you that she's into girls?"

"No. I don't care. I'm not like mom and dad- I have no problem with gay people." Peyton said, chewing her gum.

"Same." I nodded.

In that moment, that's what I truly needed to hear from Peyton. She could be another safe person- when the time came to tell her.

I laid in bed that night, with a lot on my mind. I wanted to turn off all of my thoughts- so I turned on YouTube. I was watching some L Word scenes, when I got a Facebook message notification.

I felt my heart skip a beat.

I then opened the Facebook app to see a message from Gabby Lee.

Heart pounding out of my chest, I read it.

It said:

Hey. How are you doing? Wanted to make sure you were alright.

Simple, yet sweet.

I thought for a moment about what I wanted to say before I answered. Then I responded:

I am doing okay. The one scratch on my face is healing fine. Thanks for your help today :)

Is it too much to put a smiley face? No. I don't think so.

I wasn't expecting to get a response right away, but Gabby then said: