chapter one

Checking the rearview mirror, the girl quickly changed gears, making sure to escape the police that was hot on her tail.

Getting in and out of a few alleyways she finally made it to the finish line, she sighed in relief when she saw her name in the first place.

She put on a sincere smile before getting out of the driver's seat and waving at the huge audience in front of her. Sure, she was new to the whole thing, but she was good at what she did.

Everyone cheered her on, just as they did on her first race. This was her sixth, so many people knew her name and were already betting on the 21-year-old winning. Minjeong was Taeyong's student, after all, the man had a lot of titles mentioned along with his name.

"Good job kid," Taeyong congratulated the girl by giving her a side hug before handing her a stack of cash.

"Holy shit. Why would people bet so much on me on top of the first-place prize?" the girl asked after counting the money.

"Don't know. Maybe because you're good at it?" Taeyong laughed at her confused state.

"Yeah, whatever," the girl mumbled before handing the man a stack of cash.

"What's this?" Taeyong asked, looking at his hand.

"I still have a debt to pay, right? That's how I'll pay it back. Plus, I think I only need to win a few more races to get my own car, so I won't take your baby away from you anymore," Minjeong pointed effortlessly toward Taeyong's car.

"I told you I don't want the money as a way of repaying me, right?" he asked but didn't get an answer. He saw the racer Minjeong had been up against coming towards the duo with his manager right behind him.

"Good race, Minjeong. I haven't raced against someone as good as you in a while," the boy said, holding his hand out for the girl to shake.

"Thank you. What's your name? I know everyone calls you Mark, but that's not Korean, right?" Minjeong asked the taller male in front of her.

"No, that's my English name. My Korean name is Minhyung, but it's not that well known so I don't use it," Mark replied.

"So you've raced abroad before?" the girl questioned, an amused look on her face.

"Yeah. I'm from Canada. I just moved here a few months ago with my mentor," he said, looking behind to see where the man went.

"Who's your mentor anyways? Taeyong told me that they're close friends," Minjeong thought aloud.

"Johnny Suh," Mark stated making Minjeong 's eyes widen.

"He's my brother's friend too," she replied.

Mark wanted to strike up a conversation after the short silence but was cut off by both their managers joining them.

"Hi, Minjeong. I've heard a lot about you from Doyoung," Johnny greeted shaking the girl's hand, while Taeyong did the same to Mark.

"What did he tell you? I don't trust that man with compliments," Minjeong sighed making the older laugh.

"Don't worry. He told us only good things about you," Johnny replied patting the girl's back.

"Us?" she asked.

"The gang, of course," Johnny said making her nod. "While I'm at the gang stuff, why didn't you join us yet? You know there are a few girls already." Johnny questioned Minjeong.

"I will have to join eventually, but I don't have time right now. I have a lot on my plate at the moment and joining a gang wouldn't help," The girl replied.