Chapter 3

Monday morning I looked for Dylan at school but he wasn't there I text him, no reply, it was only when I asked Maisy to ask Josh I found out he was off sick.

Tuesday he was back in but he had a bandage on his hand. "What happened?" I asked worried about him. 

"Nothing Liv, just ignore it!" He said coldly I didn't want to push him, he warmed up during the day and said "I need you to know more about me, if you want to date me that is?" 

"Yeah, okay!" I said not really understanding what he was meaning.

"Ok can you come over mine after school?" He asked.

"Yeah of course!" I never went anywhere without Maisy but this time I was going to so I told her at lunch and she just nodded and said she would walk back with her sister.

Dylan got the bus home he lived in a rough part of town and I suddenly started to realise what he meant we got to a small bungalow with a dirty garden. He opened the front door to a dark front room.

"My Mum must be asleep!" He said "She works nights at the petrol station!" He carried on.

"Oh I see!" I said, I wasn't used to this, my parents weren't married to each other but they both had three bedroom houses in nice areas, my Dad had a good job and a family that I stayed with for a week every holiday and two weeks in Summer, my Mum was a nurse and my Step Dad worked in finance. "What about your Dad?" I asked his face went hard.

"I don't have a Dad!" He told me, I felt sorry for him, his Mum had raised him alone.

"Hello?" I heard a woman say,

"Mum, it's just me and my friend Olivia, the girl I went to the movie with on Saturday!" Dylan said his Mum appeared in a blue dressing gown and slippers her hair in a messy pony tail and she looked really tired.

"Oh wow, you are not at all what I expected, you are really pretty and not Dylan's usual type of friend!" She said and I smiled and thanked her. She excused herself and got dressed and did her hair but she still looked really tired. "Olivia, would you like to stay for dinner?" Dylan looked at me as if it was the most important thing in the world that I did. 

"Oh that would be lovely, I'll just text my parents and tell them I will be!" I said.

Dylan's Mum seemed so happy that I agreed and I saw what he meant by knowing more about him. Dylan clearly did not have an easy upbringing with just a Mum with a low paying job, he took me to his room which wasn't so bad, it was blue, it was tidy, he had posters on the wall and a queen sized bed in the corner which he asked me to sit on. "So this is me!" He said.

"Dylan why did you move to this school?" I asked needing to know if he had actually assaulted a teacher. 

"I got caught at my last school doing some things I shouldn't have been doing, I was smoking weed on school grounds and I got expelled, it was stupid and I know that so don't have a go at me, Liv I told you I am not like that now!" He told me and then I needed to know about the girls.

"I also heard that you aren't nice to girls but you've been nice to me!" I said 

"Yeah, my casual flings weren't just that for some girls I slept with they assumed because I was sleeping with them we were more than a one night thing." He told me "I assume you haven't had sex?"

"No, I haven't, Matt wasn't right for me and I didn't want it to be him!" I told him but I never really had any interest in sex until I met Dylan and I wasn't sure what made him different. 

"Well, if I have sex with you, not now, I promise you it would only be if I love you!" He told me and I was surprised.

"Can we do stuff before you love me though?" I surprised myself asking that.

"Only when you are ready to do so." He said then his Mum called that dinner was ready, we had spaghetti and it was really nice.

"Olivia would you like me to drive you home before  I go to work tonight?" His Mum asked

"If it's not too much trouble!" I responded.

Dylan chimed in with "I'll come too I was going to see some friends near Olivia's to get some things back!" 

"Ok honey! Be back by 10 ok?" She said 

"Of course Mum!" Dylan seemed to love his Mum so much and I adored that. 

Miss Chambers drove me home at 8pm and Dylan walked me to the door and said "Thank you for staying for tea it meant the world to my Mum that I have a nice decent friend she would approve of you as a potential girlfriend and you were so polite to her none of my other friends have been!" He smiled at me and gave me a hug.

"Well you know, I am well mannered person and I like your Mum she seems lovely!" I said and then my front door opened.

"Olivia who is this?" My Step Dad asked in a mild tone.

"Oh Steve this is Dylan, a boy from school, his Mum just dropped us off he's planning to get some things back and head home  right?" I turned to Dylan.

"Right, Nice to meet you Mr-" He then realised he didn't know my or my family's last name.

"Dawkins, not Olivia's biological father as you can tell she called me Steve!" He reached out to shake Dylan's hand. 

"Nice to meet you Mr Dawkins!" He said and shook his hand. 

"You too, Olivia you have 10 minutes, remember your turn to take the bins out!" My Step Dad went back in and I blushed.

"My last name is Howard my Dads last name but we are moving quickly aren't we already meeting each other's families, you just have to meet my Mum now!" I joked

"Okay let's do that!" He said seriously. I opened my front door and took Dylan to the kitchen where my Mum was drinking tea and looking at application forms for a new receptionist!

"Mum, this is Dylan, my friend I went to the movies with on Saturday with Maisy!" I wasn't sure how to introduce him. 

"Oh, nice to meet you Dylan!" She said looking him up and down.

"You too Mrs Dawkins, I just felt I should meet you as Liv met my Mum  tonight!" Dylan smiled at my Mum who smiled back. "Ok Liv I should be off now I'll see you at school tomorrow!" I walked him to the door and he leant down and kissed me again. "Text me later ok?" He said.

"Ok, sure!" I replied and watched him walk away.