•1•

The eyes of the trees landed on the small business in the tiny town of Hawkins, Indiana, where a light auburn-haired girl glanced at the clock again. She became disinterested in her book as she realized her coworker and best friend was supposed to show up several bundles of 10 minutes ago. Robin sighed a heavy heave, Her chest falling significantly. Of course king steve didnt show up for his shift at the family video store once again, because of his stupid party the night before. Her agenda never consisted of ever going to any besides his halloween parties, but that was because they always matched costumes. Or– at least they tried.

Robin cut him some slack, however, parties were almost like his way to cope (Despite being an addiction in and of itself) against his basically non-existent parents. She made him an excuse and wrote it on the white board for Keith to see on his shift, saying he had food poisoning from the mayo at the jack in the box down the road from school.

That place's food always tastes funny.

She decided she could man the fort on her own for the day, i mean it wouldn't be the first time. Plus, it was wednesday, rarely anyone ever actually came to rent a movie on a wednesday. The worst part of this though, would be the utter loneliness. I mean, Steve was what powered her through the day, despite him almost driving her up the wall 8 out of 10 times a day. He was still basically the only person she talked to, so it was very convenient they got the same shifts at the same job. And it's not like she can call anyone else, because she was still at work.

“So suffering it is, I suppose.” she said to herself, taking a stack of newly returned movies and going to put them back where they went. Her job seemed to take a painstakingly longer amount of time then normal, maybe due to an overtly-low customer-to-worker ratio or because Steve really wasn't there to make the space actually welcoming. Stupidly enough, steve and robin where really like a batman and robin duo, iconic and dependent on each other.

With that thought, robin mentally noted to drop some gatorade and painkillers off at steves, since he's probably hanging onto his toilet like his last girlfriend.steve never took hangovers well, but still, for whatever reason, threw parties every few months.i guess you really could call his leftover pains from alcohol ‘hang’overs. She softly chuckled at her own joke, hearing the bell at the top of the door signifying the first customer of the day.

“I'll be there in a moment!” Robin shouted softly, notifying the customer. She rushed herself back to the counter after putting away her things, the girl who entered the store looking around from the front. Not just any girl, VIckie. Robin smiled softly, pleasantly surprised.

“Oh, robin.I didn't know you worked here!” She said, her typical bubbly air and mannerisms following with her.

“You did your hair today?” Robin said, noting the small pippy pigtails at the end of her shag-like haircut. Her smile grew with a cherry color on her cheeks as she realized someone had actually noticed. “I-i mean, its really cute- well… i like it. It suits you.” She stops herself before her mouth gets away from her like it tends to. Vickie lets out a small chuckle.

“Yeah, thank you.” she glanced around again, taking note of a missing worker. “Hey, where's steve?” She asks, curiously.

“Food poisoning from that jack in the box by the school.” Robin said, pointing to the white board behind her.

“Ahh.. well, I'm free till um.. 4:30, if you need a helping hand.” She smiled at Robin, grabbing Robin's hand and a sharpie to write her number with. Robin blushed profusely, smiling as Vickie concentrated on writing. She then smiled at the more brown-colored haired girl, and waved as she walked back out. All else she'd left was a movie she was returning. Robin smiled as she looked down at her hand. Her number and name was written, the i’s in vickie dotted with hearts. To add to it, there was a single heart at the end of it all. One of such perfection that robin questioned if vickie herself had made it or a robot had.

Steve stumbled to the door with his head in his hand, realizing he'd slept through yet another shift for the family video store. He realized only then the only 4 people knocking could be robin, his boss, dustin or his parents, which shouldn't even be an option.

The door opened to a distressed but happy robin. She allowed herself to pass a very out-of-it Steve, who looked like he'd just thrown up the contents of his organs and everything inside them and then ran a marathon. “Oh my god, look at this!” She squealed, her loud and high=pitched voice being enough to make Steve's ears ring. He winced and looked at her land, rubbing his ears. She handed him a grocery bag of gatorades and tylenol pills, which he was thankful for. “See!? 3 whole hearts. And her number!” Robin said excitedly.

“Robin!” Steve scolded in his raspy voice, covering his ears. She softly apologized. “So, is that all you came over for?” He asked, grumpy, tired and disgusted by the look of his house.

“Well, I mean. School tomorrow, I just got off work, I mean just be glad I brought the gatorades.” SHe mentions, as he cracks one open and sips it. It didn't help yet, but he knew that before he went to bed he'd be feeling better.

“Sorry, yeah. Thanks.” He says, looking outside. The sun was about to set, and he'd basically been just repeatedly throwing up in his toilet since he woke, which was only an hour or so ago. He felt empty, weak. Terribly, terribly shaky, to the point that robin took note of it.

“Whoa, you ok?” Steve nodded slowly, trying to find food he could cook quickly and eat. He landed on cup of noodle, quickly heating water to make his life-elixir noodles. 

“Yeah, just emptied anything i've eaten or drank in the past 36 hours into my toilet, so y'know.” he said jokingly

His comment barely comforted robin, with the reminder that he had to be ok because he still had his stupid sense of humor.that meant that at least something was helping him not feel like he was dying by every second that passed.

A/n: ik this is all robin and Vickie, and this is supposed to be steddie, but it'll be here soon, dont you worry babes :)