Chapter 16 : I'm trying

Pete went home high on emotions that night. He missed a drunk, clingy Tankhun. He'd missed laughing at Arm and Pol's craziness. Mostly he'd forgotten he was missing all these little things since he'd left on that mission. Porsche drove everyone home & nagged Pete the whole way till their room for not getting drunk enough. He even followed Pete to his room.

As much as he'd missed Porsche, Pete wanted to be alone. So he asked Porsche to go be with Kinn for the night.

"No Pete, you don't seem to sleep well these days, I am scared to leave you alone."

"Porsche, you're Mr Kinn's boyfriend now. You should be taking care of him more than than when you were his bodyguard. I shall always be your best friend, okay? Trust me I will be fine."

"Are you sure? I will come to check on you in between, make sure to sleep tight."

"Aye aye captain!"

"I missed that smile of yours. Truly."

"Aaah ahh Mr Kinn will hate me if I keep you any longer go back now."

"My friend is in love with the villain. Wow, Vegas. You're LUCKY." Porsche told in his head before walking away. And he was as right as he could be.

Pete tried to gather his thoughts but was interrupted by a call. It couldn't be grandma. He had asked her to live with a cousin the moment he had escaped. He was scared but he had to know who could call him on that secret number.

"Hello?"

"Attempt number 1. I escaped that safe house & struck a deal with the devil just to get a glimpse of you. How many more until I'm forgiven?"

"Vegath?!"

"Have you heard that when you love someone, you say their name different. Like it's safe inside your mouth."

"Did you take the pains of finding this number..... to recite poetry to me late night?"

"I had to. It wouldn't have to call if you were in my arms right now."

"What do you want?"

"You. All of you."

"Good night! I hope you don't sleep well."

"WAIT! How is your fever?"

"Gone."

"Besides, I can't sleep well anyway. You're not by my side."

"What are you playing at?"

"You told I could try to earn your forgiveness. I'm not going to waste a single moment hereafter."

"Keep trying. You might get there. Someday."

"See you tomorrow, sweetie. Not telling you why." ;)

"I know Porsche brought me to you. So see you tomorrow with a gun, I guess."

"I'm sorry.....For everything."

"Whatever yo. You suck at flirting btw."

"Maybe I can learn if Tankhun invites me to watch rom coms with him. Because you will be there if I decide to try some tricks." ;)

"Go away before someone catches me. Bye!"

"Wait Pete!"

"*sigh* wHat now?"

"You're beautiful."

"What was that?"

"Has anyone told you that before?"

"nO"

"Yayy I was your first again!!"

"You cheeky bastard-"

Vegas had ended the call & started giggling on the other end. Pete had no words, he just went to sleep.

Next day indeed came. Porsche ran away with Vegas' help. Pete volunteered to accompany Kinn. But to protect Vegas. And he did. By 'pretending' to touch the trigger & never actually aiming right. Vegas swore he saw Pete suppress a smile when their eyes met. 

Pete was unsure about everyone's true feelings and intentions. Mostly his own. Vegas wasn't. His father was planning to start a war. He was going into the field too. To protect the man he had grown to love.