Chapter 23 : I'm not that good

TW : Death, child abuse

[1 year later] 

Kinn had convinced Vegas to continue. Kim had turned into workaholic WIK. Chay still felt bittersweet about that song Kim had left him with. Nevertheless, he was now growing up & coming to terms with the idea of forgiving Kim. Tankhun was improving & got a little more involved with work. Porsche went back to college to complete his graduation. Macau was finishing his last year of high school.

Pete was in low spirits for 3 days. Vegas then figured out from the dates. He wanted to help so he dragged him along for a drink that night.

Pete was not talking so Vegas patted his head & said,"I know what day it is 2 days later. Don't worry, I will not leave you alone all day."

"Thank you, Vegath."

After some more drinks Vegas asked,"Can I ask how your father died?" 

Pete looked at his shoes as he responded,"You might doubt me after hearing the truth?"

"I would never."

"You deserve to know. I will still respect your decision if you want to leave me after hearing it."

"Try telling me first."

"My father used to hit my mom everyday. Even me on some days. One particular night was very bad. Next day, she ran away from home while I was away at school."

"I'm sorry. You don't have to force yourself to talk about it if you're uncomfortable."

"I don't blame her though. She tried protecting me while she was there. Honestly, it would be difficult to escape with a 7 y/o."

"Why are you so understanding, love?"

"I tried convincing him for 3 days that I didn't know about mother's whereabouts. He continued to trash me for "lying". So the 4th day I stole cash & got on a bus to grandmother's village. She reported to the police. Mother was never found again. We couldn't afford a lawyer so my father never went to jail."

"I would skin him alive if I had the chance."

"He came back again when I was 12. Grandmother was reluctant to hand me over so he stayed back in the village & stalked us."

"Why didn't you report him again?"

"Grandmother was scared he would hurt us before police arrived. And she was scared I'd get bullied at school if the truth was out."

"What happened next?"

"The second day, he came to my school. Faked affection & literally dragged me to join him on a hike. Midway, he slipped towards the valley side & hung from the edge of the road"

"What did you do?"

"I froze. I'm not sure for how long. I watched him lose grip & fall," Pete broke into a violent sob & Vegas' slowly kissed the top of his head to soothe him.

"It's okay. I'm still here."

"When I realised what happened, I rolled in mud to make it look like I tried."

"What happened then?"

"Who wouldn't believe a silent & obedient 12 y/o. The police wrapped it up in 2 days as an accident."

"Your grandmother still calls you every year to visit his grave, right?"

"Yes. Despite knowing I always refuse."

"Let's obey her this year."