Enigma

i got requested on ao3 by@SayuriFanficWorld  so yeah...

enjoy

-dreamcatcher

Ever since she was a child, Marinette had been told that she was an enigma.

Behind the clumsy demeanor and the shy looks, she hid unbelievable knowledge and tact. Every test that came her way, she aced. She skipped half of the curriculum at her old school and ended up at Francois Dupont.

Francois was a K-12 notorious "rich kid school", known for raising the heirs of vast wealth. Marinette felt out of place as she wandered the halls, because not only did everyone in her class wear designer brands and throw out money like it was trash, she was also 2 years younger due to the grades she had skipped. The older students sneered at her, and more than once did someone try to take advantage of her based on her timid mask.

By the time they had gotten close to her she had already compiled a lengthy list on their wrongdoings and actions.

Eventually she had become famous in the school for her efficiency at just about everything. Sewing, baking, writing, painting-- you could name it and she would do it perfectly.

By the age of 10, (Everyone else was 12 or 13) she ran a club, was the student council president, participated in nearly every activity presented to her, and was still in the top rank. Some students doubted that she was human.

But no matter what they thought, Marinette wasn't a machine, running 24/7. She had a reason for indulging in everything that came her way without reason or rhyme. At home, she would sit at the table and present her grades to her mother, praying that they were good enough.

And no matter what anybody thought, Marinette was devastatingly human. Because, at the ripe age of eleven and a half, she had fallen in love with fourteen-year-old Adrien Agreste.

She knew it wasn't right. It was just simply puppy love. A small crush on an untouchable model. And so, she held him on a pedestal. This was when everything started to go wrong.

A few days afterwards, as she walked home from school, she noticed an old man trying to cross the road amidst immense traffic. Like any decent person, she dropped her bags and saved him.

Later, when she got home, she found a small black box with red detailing on her desk. She was sure that she didn't buy it, and her parents weren't the type to give gifts. So who?

She gently opened it and out flew a red bug-mouse-thing. The bug-mouse-thing explained its presence and the danger incoming and all Marinette could think was "Why her?"

She wasn't famous or rich or even remotely special in her opinion. She had done what was expected of her. It was something her brain was hardwired to do.

She accepted however, as the threat was clear. When she got onto the scene, she saw a cat-themed hero, dumbly swinging around his baton. It took everything in her power not to scoff at his misfortune, and she reminded herself that that imbecile was on her team.

~

It had been a year since Hawkmoth had begun his attacks. The first week was hard, Marinette had to admit, with her falling all over the place and getting no sleep at night. But one talk with her parents convinced her to get it together. If anything the whole debacle was a testament to the fact that Marinette was still human.

She ran on coffee and spite of those around her, but she had managed to grab a small group of outcasts like her to hang out with at school.

Nino, who had been bullied because of his ethnicity and his lack of wealth; Chloe, who had been made fun of because of her wealth; Juleka, who was bullied because of her shyness and being a year older than everyone else; and Marinette who was harassed multiple times due to her age. A group of misfits who fit together.