Chapter 2: Fix this Broken Heart

Sakura sighed when she knew she was far out of their sights, and dropped her fake smile. She wanted everything they had, the marriage, the love, the knowledge that they were both constantly there... distance hurt.

When Sasuke left, he promised her he would call her anytime he could, but the phone never rang. Not even once.

Sakura watched the other happy couples in the village as she rushed to her house. Ino and Sai were now officially a couple, after a few months of them making regular visits with each other. As was Shikamaru and Temari. They both waved at Sakura when she rushed past them, she gave them her plastered on smile that she gave everyone else.

He'll be home soon... Sakura told herself to make her feel better. He'll either be back soon or call. He'll at least call.

When Sakura finally made it home, she collapsed onto the floor with sobs. She scolded herself, telling herself she needed to be strong, she needed to pull through. It's not like Sasuke was dead, he'll come home. And when he comes home, he'll be coming home to her.

She dug her nails into her arms, pulling herself close with her knees against her chest as sobs tore through her body. Pull yourself together. Please..

The sound of her phone ringing pulled her out of her state, bringing her back to reality. "Oh!" She cried scrambling to her feet rushing to her phone. She didn't even feel the need to check caller id, she just hit answer. "He..hello?" Sakura murmured into the phone.

"Sakura?" Ino's voice asked through the phone. Sakura felt her heart sink. She let herself get her hopes up.

"Oh... hey. What's up?" Sakura asked, she moved to a chair in the kitchen slouching slightly.

"I just got done talking to Hinata," Ino started, "and she said that you didn't look like you were having the best time. Is everything alright?" Sakura sighed. Of course Hinata ratted her out to her best friend. Ino was able to get anything out of her.

"I... I'm doing alright." Sakura admitted sheepishly. "I'm getting by."

"Sasuke hasn't been back in a while, has he?" Sakura bit her lip. She knew Ino knew. But it still hurt to admit. This was the longest he's been gone since he's came back. When he left before Naruto's wedding, he checked in regularly. But now she doesn't even get a simple message.

"Have you tried calling him?" Ino asked, "I know sometimes you feel like you'll just bother him, but a relationship is a two way street. If he wants to be with you he has to understand that you'll get worried about him too." Sakura sighed. She didn't want to call him, Ino knew how she felt about calling Sasuke when he was on missions. She would be worried that she's calling at the wrong time, and will manage to get himself hurt; all because of her.

"No I havent... should I?"

"Y-E-S! YES! You should! Sakura you can't beat yourself up like this when you have ways to contact him and you're just not using them, hell, hang up on me and call him right now! And if he doesn't answer leave him a loving message or something!" Ino cried into the phone. "Let him know that you're not liking that he's gone!"

Sakura sighed, giving into Ino's demands. "Fine. But if he doesn't answer I'm taking a shower and laying down with a book or something." She murmured.

"You better call me back." Ino threatened into the line, then the line went dead. Sakura just looked down at the phone, wondering what to do next. Should she actually call Sasuke? Or should she just claim she did and say he didn't answer?

Sakura bit her lip. There's no need to be a scaredy cat anymore, this is your boyfriend. Sakura dialed Sasuke's number then hit call before she could have second thoughts. The phone rang, and each rang felt like it lasted unnecessarily long. It rang four times, then the phone answered, declaring that this person has not set up their mailbox for voice mails, then said goodbye.

Sakura sighed, and threw her phone down frustrated. She knew this was going to happen, calling and not getting an answer hurt more then him not calling at all. "I'm just going to take a shower..." Sakura growled to herself. Sakura walked to her bathroom, and started the hot water.

She held her hand under the water until it was at the heat that she wanted it to be.

What he could he possibly be doing? What could possibly make him so busy he could never call?

Sakura then started to get undressed to get into the shower. She flinched when the water hit her back.

Why did he have to be gone for long periods of time? Why couldn't he just stay in the village like everyone else?

A sudden noise from outside of her bathroom brought her back to reality. She heard her phone blaring from her bedroom. "Damn it Ino... I told you I was going to take a shower..." Sakura muttered to herself quickly grabbing a towel, then running to her bedroom.

When Sakura got to her phone, she knew she wouldn't have time to check the caller ID, she just hit the answer button. "Ino... I told you I'd call you when I got out of the shower, I called, I promise. He never picked up, who know's what-"

"He never picked up, huh?" Sakura froze. She had to grasp for her towel because she almost dropped it in shock.

"S...Sasuke...?"