It's late when I get back to the academy. The sun is resting over the top of the buildings as I walk through the courtyard to the dorms. Everyone I'm sure is either in bed or getting ready for it as I should be. Instead I feel like I'm on the walk of shame, but for a whole other reason.
I'm confused about Cooper. We get along so well... and he gets my humor. And I think him writing an original song as I choreograph my solo will be really good. The only problem is, that requires us to spend more time together and time together is not what we need if we're going to keep it "hands off". That's what I'm worried about. We won't be able to stay away from each other and what happens if I get too attached and am pulled in too many directions other than dance?
There's too much to think about right now...
It's dark in our room until the lamp is tugged on and Carmen's side of the room comes into view. "Where have you been young lady? I've been worried sick. It's way past your curfew."
I look at her funny. "How long have you been laying there in the dark?"
"I just laid down when you came in, thank you." I notice a mold of my body laying under my covers. "I had to improvise. You're welcome I'm an incredible actress on top of an even more incredible dancer. Let's just say I do it all. Dorm managers didn't even notice a thing."
I laugh at how real it looks before pulling it apart. "Thank you."
"But seriously, where have you been?"
"I was with Cooper."
"Well I assumed that but tell me more, where did you go?"
"You would know if you had waited for me like you said you were." That doesn't even make sense but I needed to throw that jab out at her for abandoning me.
"Uh, you're welcome for that. Now tell me!"
"It was no big deal. We went to his house to hang out. They have a garage where they practice so we were in there."
"They have a garage? So cool. Did you meet the rest of the band? Are they cute? Any prospects?"
"They weren't there."
"It was just the two of you? Oooo, so scandalous."
"I told you, we just hung out."
"So nothing happened?"
"No." Well, almost. "Nothing happened. But... there is something else."
She sits up, alert. "I knew it. Tell me everything. He's a guitar player he must be good with his hands-"
"It's not like that!"
She pouts. "Then what?"
"He played me some of his original songs and I really like them. I got this idea to have him write an original for me to choreograph for my solo at the showcase. I kind of asked him to do it for me."
"That's sounds cool. I didn't know you are so creative. And major perk: you get to spend more time with him." Her eyebrows raise tauntingly.
I groan. "Would you stop? I told him we have to keep it professional."
"Uh, why on gods heavenly earth would you do that?"
"Because it could get messy and I don't want to jeopardize the showcase."
"You're delusional if you think that will work."
"It will. He agreed."
"He's a guy... who looks like that, and you're you... a freaking rockstar and a ballerina. You're like meant to be. It's written in the stars or whatever. At least Avril Lavigne says so. I give it a day of rehearsing and you won't be able to stay away from each other. Guaranteed."
"I'm not some crazed hormonal teenager. I can handle my emotions. I did today so what will be differ-"
"I thought you said nothing happened?" She is accusatory.
"It didn't... I stopped it."
"Oh shit, it's already starting. You're a goner at this point girl. You might as well give in and get it over with while it's still fresh and not tainted by unspoken feelings and it's too late. Now is your chance to bag the rockstar."
"You never stop, do you?"
"As your older, more experienced, Motion Academy roommate slash only friend in this city, it is my moral obligation to see this through. So no, I won't stop until you and the rockstar bang."
"You're ridiculous. I'm going to sleep now."
"Just sayin'!" She lays back under her covers. "Mark my words. It will happen."
I want to fall asleep able to assure myself she isn't right but today was full of electricity. I'm closing my eyes hoping I have enough strength to hang out with Cooper and not want to kiss him again.
Tomorrow's rehearsal will be telling.