3. Arranged Marriage

|Luzhiah POV|

Our family is dining while discussing the current issue. "Brother? Who do you think would be the next King?" I asked as I filled my bowl with soup.

Benjamin looked at me and shrugged.

"I hope that prince Wynchell wins this selection..."Father said.

When I was younger, my father told us that we were attacked the day he celebrated his victory. He also told us that prince Lufian is the one behind it. At that time I was too scared to ask questions, but now I want to know. Why would he do that? What did our family do to offend him? I've heard a lot about prince Lufian. But all of them are negative, he had 4 wives that mysteriously disappeared, he kills everyone that disagrees with him, and the most terrifying thing is that he keeps a giant tiger as a pet and feeds those who he hates to it.

The whole dinner was filled with discussions about him. But my father never told us anything about why the prince is so mad at our family. That night I decided to wait and ask my mom about it, my curiosity is killing me!

After dinner, we went to my room to get ready for bed. I sat down in front of my mirror and while my mother is fixing my hair, I decided to ask that question.

"Mother?" I called her.

"What is it dear?" mother asked me while she was brushing my hair.

"Why does prince Lufian hate us?" I asked straightforwardly, hoping to get an answer I turned around and at her, "Mom?"

My mother smiled and shook her head, "I don't have the answer for that my dear," she said.

"How could that be? father tells you everything!" I questioned her, she shook her head once again.

"Yes, indeed he does. Except for this specific information. Why don't you ask him? I tried so many times, but the answer is always the same. 'it's better if you didn't know.'" She imitates my father's voice as she said that, and I laughed at her.

But I still wanted to know the reason behind it all. After mother finished fixing my hair, she excused herself leaving me alone in my thoughts.

Although I was still curious, I decided to let it slide. If my mother couldn't get that information, I doubt I'd be able to. But father's right, if prince Lufian becomes king, our family would suffer. I just hope that he would not be the next king, and I hope that he'd be exiled away from us, away from our family. In that way, what happened before, although I can't remember, I don't want to experience it again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the next few weeks, father asked us to have a family meeting. When I arrived at the study room, my family is already there. "What is this about father?" I asked curiously. Father smiled and showed us a photo of a beautiful young woman. She has braided black hair, a fair complexion, and rosy cheeks she was wearing a yellow gown with purple flowers. But one quality of her stood up the most, her eyes, her eyes are dark purple!

"Black hair, purple eyes..." I gasped, "Isn't she the daughter of the Diamond family...Lavender Diamond? is known for her unique purple eyes! Father, why are you showing us her portrait?" I asked.

Father took the picture from us and laughed, "Oh well, I talked with her father, and..." We all look at him anticipating what he's gonna say next.

"We decided that Lady Lavender will be the one that our Benjamin is gonna get married to!" Father exclaimed! the whole family was dumbfounded. Even mom who was just drinking her tea earlier almost spilled it. We all looked at our father in confusion.

"Andrei, we agreed that we are never gonna force our children into marriage!" my mom said, it was the first time she called our father by his name in a while now. It indicates that she's mad and she disapproves of my father's decision.

"And worse is that you never discussed it with me before you made a decision!" Her tone became louder, I slowly stopped drinking my soup as I listen to their argument.

Father tried to hold mom's hand but she brushed his hand away, father sighed and said, "I'm just looking out for Benjamin. He's old enough to get married already, also...the two of us are arranged by our parents to marry too aren't we? it can also strengthen our power."

I looked at my brother, his gaze darkened and his fists were clenched, "Father..." he quietly called, he was about to say something but he didn't continue. He instead, shook his head and walked out. Mother was about to follow him when father said, "I'm doing this to stabilize our financial problems!"

"Financial problems?" I asked, mother, stopped and looked at my father. He nodded.

"Ever since prince Lufian's power had been restored for this crown prince selection, he kept interfering with our family business. Who knows what he will do?

If prince Wynchell became the king it would be better for us, prince Lufian however...." father, for the first time, I saw him openly showing his  worry.

I stood up and said, "But even so, you can't force my brother to marry someone he doesn't even know!"

"We don't have a choice Luzhiah..." my father said firmly. Mom couldn't take it anymore, she ran to their room and my father stood up to follow her. I was left inside the room dumbfounded, I was thinking about how fast everything just happened.

We've been living in peace for the past 19 years. Why is prince Lufian plotting against us now?!

With everything going on, I decided to go walk to the garden to calm my nerves. As I admire the beautiful flowers, I saw a figure sitting on the bench. It was my brother, he was staring at the view thinking deeply.

"Do you need someone to talk to?" I asked, "Are you still mad at father? he told us that he is only doing that to-"

"I know," he replied, "I heard everything..."

Benjamin looked at me and forced a smile. "I'm okay sister don't worry too much."

"So you're gonna do it? You're gonna marry her?" I asked.

he nodded. "I have no choice. From the moment father agreed to the lady's family, I already have no choice." he forced a laugh and said, "If it's not me, it's you. I won't let you marry someone you don't love because I refused this wedding."

He placed his hand on my head and ruffled my hair. "Promise me Luzhiah, that you'll only marry the man that you love. The man that loves you, and the one that will be willing to protect you."

It's funny how my brother who is always telling me to not rely on anyone to protect me, is asking me to marry someone who can protect me.

"How about you?" I asked I couldn't believe that he was willing to throw his future away for this marriage, and it was for my sake!

But He's right, with the current situation, my father would do anything. If he isn't able to force my brother, he would find someone to force me to marry into.

"Who knows? maybe he's right, maybe I'll learn to love this girl one day. Just do what I told you, and I'll live the rest of my life at ease." Benjamin stood up and went back inside the house, I know he was still not ok. But I figured, maybe he needs more time for himself.

"I promise..." I whispered to myself. I stayed in the garden for quite a while. Why is our fate controlled by someone else? What did my father do to put us all in this situation?! A lot of things are going through my mind, a lot of questions I need answers for. I wanted to help, I wanted to make our lives easier, if ever, somewhere far away from prince Lufian as possible is very ideal for me. But how?