6. The next king

That night, Luzhiah didn't get a night of good sleep, she was tossing and turning thinking about what Wynchell just told her. For some reason, she found it hard to believe. "He wouldn't lie to me, would he? I mean he doesn't have any reason to do so!" Luzhiah placed her hand on her head to think.

At the end of the day, even with her doubts, she decided to believe him. She decided to give Wynchell a chance to prove everything to her. Who knows? Maybe the answers she's looking for will eventually come out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In just a blink of an eye, the 6-month competition is coming to an end, and a lot of things had happened since then. The city, as well as the neighboring cities, had fewer crimes and poverty. Some of the militaries were sent to patrol the cities to ensure their safety. Wynchell worked twice as hard as he did before. He already went to the majority of the ministers to convince them why he is fit to be the king. He helped a lot of people by giving them what they need, he also made time to spend time with Luzhiah, and over time their relationship developed. Lufian however, kept his ways a secret.

One week before the decision-making, Wynchell brought Luzhiah into the lake, the beautiful scenery, and its fresh air made it the cleanest lake in the kingdom. "Only a week more, then the next king shall be decided," Wynchell said as he and Luzhiah sat down on a bench near the lake. "No matter what happens, Luzhiah, I'll still do my best to protect you and your family. King or not..."

"My family swore our alliance to you, my prince, we are in this 'til the end." Luzhiah leaned on Wynchell's shoulder as they looked at the view.

Wynchell then took Luzhiah's hand and asked again, "Luzhiah, ever since the moment we met, I..." Upon realizing that he was going to repeat the same speech Luzhiah covered his mouth.

She nodded, "You've been persistent my prince, I think it's about time I say yes," she answered. Wynchell got so happy as he slipped the ring through Luzhiah's finger and wrapped her in his embrace. Luzhiah is nervous for an unknown reason, but she decided to ignore it. Her father also told her that it would be better for them if she married the prince, and his kindness to her pushed her to make this decision.

Meanwhile, Lufian is in his office looking out the window. Leon suddenly walked in.

"How was it?" Lufian asked,

"Everything went well, I am amazed how you thought this through...even prince Wynchell's efforts are not matched with yours, I should probably already call you crown prince..."Leon said with a grin.

"Don't call me that just yet, others would think that I'm underestimating my brother." Lufian said, but he was smiling, it brings joy to him whenever he does better than Wynchell, "He's giving utmost effort I'd give him that. The problem is, he is too naive to think about how to rule a  kingdom." He held a glass of wine in his hand as he toast his coming victory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then it came, the day that is long awaited. The new king will finally be revealed. The ministers are already in the hall. People from different cities traveled to hear the decision made by the king. Luzhiah and her family were seated amongst the nobilities. Both of the princes are seating in front of the throne. Soon, the king's entrance was announced, and he and the queen, hand in hand walked towards the throne.

"Today we shall see, who amongst my sons, Prince Lufian and Prince Wynchell shall succeed and be the next King Of Avilandrah. As you know, 6 months ago, I gave my sons a chance to prove themselves worthy of the throne. Both of them progressed well, but only one shall succeed." The king looked at the ministers, then at his sons, "I want to hear the decision of my wise and capable ministers."