Chapter 17

Art by Bekonuizado on Insta/Twitter/Tumblr

"Y/n-" Deku put a hand on my shoulder and my wandering thoughts ended.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" I asked.

Aizawa stared at us and said, "I don't think she would like to leave your side, and by the looks of it, you don't seem to want to leave her either..."

I was in a predicament. I can't take her with me. I shook my head. "She had to go with someone else. She absolutely cannot come with me."

"Is it because of your mother?" The Archmage asked. I nodded.

I told him why I was with Bakugo and Kirishima in the first place. I have to return to my home to get my mother's blood to reverse a curse she or my siblings put on Bakugo's mother. If I have Eri with me I know she will force me to continue the research.

"It's best if she's as far away from the wintery islands as possible. She needs to be protected and I cannot protect her if she is with me, I'm begging you to take her!"

The Archmage folded his arms. "She won't like that..."

I looked down at her. "I would like to take her and show her the beauty of the world, but she will be put back in hell if she comes with me. Think of this as a favor for saving Shinso! Please...!"

I held her head and began to tear up thinking about what my mother might do to the poor child. She might treat her kinder than she treated me, but she is not of the witch race.

I heard a knock on the door and Deku opened it. The owner smiled as she held a plate of food. I thought about how to wake her up without startling her. Shaking her wasn't an option. I brushed her hair away and patted her back.

"Eri, it's time to eat, sweetie!" I whispered. She was rubbing her eyes and looked at the plate of food. Her eyes lit up and I grabbed the plate. I held it in one hand and took a fork to feed her. She stared at the food for some time, but I know she was drooling. I picked up some eggs and blew on them before holding the fork it to her mouth. She slowly opened her mouth and hesitated as she closed it.

I heard a small gasp and then a small "Mmm." I laughed and continued to feed her. Her hair often got in the way as she ate. I didn't have anything to tie her hair back with, and I didn't own a brush since I just use my fingers to comb my hair.

"Here take these, I'll move your hair out of the way." She took the plate and I used my fingers to move all her hair away from her face. I twisted it into a low bun, but since nothing held it together it fell apart. It should be fine as long as she can eat without hair getting in her mouth.

"Hey, Eri how old are you?" Deku asked.

"I don't know..." she said.

I furrowed my brows. I kept seeing myself in her. I let a tear fall. I didn't know my age either until I suddenly asked Mother as a reward. "Well, you look about six years old..." she stopped eating. "Since we also don't know your birthday, we'll just say today is your birthday!"

She looked to me and tilted her head. "What's a birthday?" She asked.

I smiled sadly. "It's a special day when someone grows one year older! Everyone celebrates their birthdays! They're supposed to be fun! You eat cake, get presents, and just have fun with friends and family!"

She looked down and poked at her food. "I don't have those..."

"I can be your friend!" Deku cried. We both looked at him. He had a large smile on his face. He sure had the power to make those feel comfortable.