Chapter 9: To Grams House We Go

tw: violence and mentions of self-harm

I slam my locker door shut before walking to the back exit. Damon texted so I'm meeting him at the loading dock for lunch. I tug my pullover sleeves over my hands as I walk past a group of people I remember seeing outside earlier. One of them clears their throat and yells, "Lockwood deserved it." I keep walking but turn to reply, "Just doing my duty as a civil servant." They laugh, going back to their conversation and I make my way down the hall.

When I get to the loading dock, Damon's leaning against the brick wall, wearing one of his leather jackets and some jeans along with black boots. "Look at who didn't get suspended for punching Tyler Lockwood in the mouth and knocking his tooth back." I press my lips together and tug on my bag strap before replying, "I'd prefer that. I got off with a written apology and now I have to see my guidance counselor twice a week." 

Damon raises an eyebrow and makes his way toward me. "An apology?" I roll up my right sleeve and grab my house key from the front pocket of my bag and dig it slightly into my arm so it can bleed. "Mhm. Principal said it wasn't my fault that I was getting picked on. People can be ignorant and she apologized on behalf of Tyler's  behavior toward both me and Jeremy." He frowns in deep thought before bringing my arm up to his lips. 

I watch his eyes darken and the veins pop out of his face before I feel his fangs hit my skin. It's almost like getting pricked with a needle but a little duller with the sensation. I close my eyes and take some deep breaths, trying to keep my heartbeat even. I fiddle with the chain around my neck with my free hand for a moment, feeling the worn silver that's been around my neck since I was fourteen. The sensation of Damon's lips on my skin stops so I clear my throat and look around. 

"Was the invitation for lunch only for you or does it also include actual food as well?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest. Damon chuckles and replies, "There's actual food." He vamp-speeds back to the car and before I can blink, he's smirking with a Grille bag dangling from his left hand, the other behind his back. "Double cheeseburger with pickles and house sauce with a side of fries." His right arm comes from behind my back and he holds out a Pepsi. "And your beverage of choice."

I take the bag and drink from Damon's hand and say, "Thank you." before turning to walk back in. "You don't wanna eat out here with me?" I pause right before I open the door and shake my head. "It's not that I don't want to, it's that I shouldn't." Before he can protest again, I open the door and head down the hall to the cafeteria. The lunch line is long and the food looks unappealing. My eyes scan the tables to find Stefan, Caroline, and Elena. My phone buzzes in my pocket and I look around before peeking at the screen. 

Bonnie

kj, there's something i need you to know about our family.

come by grams after school.

bons, is everything okay?

what are you not telling me?

 why have you been gone since i've been here?

i promise i'll explain everything later.

i'm sorry. 

i love you lots

I groan before shoving my phone back into my bag and stalking over to a table by the window. Ironically, Jeremy sits down as soon as I get there. "Hey, long time no see. Did you get in early today?" He asks. I unroll the top of the paper bag and answer, "Yeah. I walked in and spent the morning in the library." He nods and picks up his spoon to attempt to figure out what the lunch is for today.