Chapter 7: Afternoons at El Casa Salvatore

I pull my messenger bag over my head and walk out of my English class, making my way to my locker for the last time of the day. I fumble to get my headphones out of my bag but once I get them in, I turn the volume all the way up to drown out the background noise. I weave through the crowds of people gathering at their lockers and push an obnoxious jock out of the way before entering my locker combination.

"Watch where you're going, new girl." He says, looking down at me. I pull out one of my headphones and respond, "You're the one taking up space in front of my locker. You should watch where you're going." I roll my eyes before putting my headphone back in. I watch him shake his head and walk away, holding his notebook at his side. I wish need to hit someone in the face today. If I don't, I'm going to explode. I think.

I see Elena and Stefan making their way down the hall from my peripheral and I smile small as they talk to one another. I know that we're all 'young' or whatever but with the way Stefan looks at Elena, you can tell it's more than a high school crush. I put my notebooks back in my locker and slide my book into the main pocket of my bag before buckling it back.

"Hey KJ," Stefan says politely, stopping in front of me. "Hi, Stefan. Hi Elena. You guys have plans for tonight?" They look at one another and Elena moves her hair behind one of her ears. "We actually have some studying we wanted to get done. We were headed to the Grill. You're welcome to join." Elena replies. I smile as big as I can and say, "Thanks but I think I'm gonna stick around for a bit. I'll see you at home later." She nods and Stefan smiles small before they continue past me.

My phone beeps in my pocket and I read the text. I'm in the back by the old shipping dock. I roll my eyes and save the number before shutting my locker and heading toward the back door near the gym.

When I push open the door, I see Damon's shiny light blue mustang parked parallel against the building and he's leaning against the hood. "What's this about?" I ask, motioning my chin toward his car. "Well earlier you said that I only see you when I'm bored. I'm not bored but you need a ride home, right?"

I press my lips together as I make my way over to his car and lean against the passenger door. "I'll go anywhere but home. Elena and Stefan are 'studying'." I comment, making air quotes with my hands. He turns his face up in disgust and says, "Oh god." before opening the door for me. I slide into the seat and throw my bag on the floor.

Damon gets in the car and shifts it to 'drive'. "You said anywhere right?" I look over at him and answer, "Within reason." He rolls his eyes before commenting, "Way to take the fun out of it." I lean back in the chair and reply, "I doubt that limited where we could go by much." He shrugs and answers, "Of course not."

---

As Damon rounds the corner of a long driveway, I look out the window through the trees. "Cool. You're taking me to an abandoned cabin to kill me." I turn back and he's steering with his right hand, the left one dangling out the window. "Believe me, if I wanted to kill you I would've done it already." I smile sarcastically and remark, "Oh, that brings me so much comfort." He chuckles to himself and slows the car down a little bit.

"Where are we actually going anyway?" I ask, bringing one of my legs up to the seat and hugging it to my chest. "My house." He answers, nudging his chin toward the windshield. I glance up and blink a few times to make sure I'm seeing correctly. The Salvatore house is essentially a victorian manor with beautiful landscaping and plenty of windows. The driveway makes a circle around an intricately planted flower bed before heading back out to the main road.

Damon slows the car to a stop and parks before taking his keys from the ignition and getting out. I grab my backpack and open the passenger door, following him up the front stairs. The doorway is huge and the carved wooden door has 6 small windows at the top and is a dark brown. There's a beautiful metal knocker on the door and I'm tempted to reach out and tap it against the wood. Damon looks down at me and comments, "I've finally got you speechless." I glare up at him as he pushes open the door with a smirk.